16.

**Leif**

Two weeks felt like a lifetime inside the cage I was placed in.
Food was rarely brought to me, as if I were being punished.
I've tried escaping more than once.
And each time.
I was caught and beaten.
It brought me back to when I was a child.
It reminded me of how much I hated this man.
How far gone he truly was and how redemption would never be an option.

"Time to eat." 
My head that rested against the wall, slowly turned to the cage's door to find this man named Ace Ellison standing there.
He had a cold expression looking at me.
I wasn't sure why, but his name sounded familiar, like he was someone I was never meant to run into.
Someone who my current ex family hated more than life itself.

I stared at the plate in his hand which he slid underneath the door, next to the two other plates with food that was already covered in mold.

"Eat, or you'll be forced just like that other brat." He told me.
Cloven..
He was betrayed the night he arrived with me here.
I don't know why it didn't surprise me.
Nikolai was a twisted person.
I knew he wouldn't pay Cloven, just like he wasn't going to let the guy leave.
He knew Nikolai's face.
And just like me?

Cloven was also rare.

I stared at the food, despite how much my stomach growled at the thought of eating something, I looked away from the food that I knew would taste bland.
I heard Ace let out an annoyed sigh before storming off.
Slowly, I looked back at the food and frowned.

I would rather starve than eat something they'd offer me.
My luck? It was probably poisoned.

It was seconds later before I heard the sound of footsteps heading back my way.
I could hear Cloven screaming down the hall from me.
I had no idea what they were doing to him.
Not that I wanted to know.
It was probably for the best.
Part of me wanted to feel grateful it was him and not me.
But then again.
I was worried about him.

"Ace tells me you're not eating again, what? Is the food not up to your own liking?"
My eyes fell to the door and I frowned seeing Nikolai standing there.
I could feel the anger trying to rise, but I was too exhausted to even try yelling at him.

"I'm not hungry." I lied.
"Bullshit." The door swung open and for the first time in two weeks, I felt fear when he lifted up the plate and stormed towards me.
"I'm not hungry!" I managed to get out as Nikolai ripped me to my feet, pinning me to the wall with his forearm.

"And I'm calling you a fucking liar." Nikolai hissed shoving the mashed potatoes into my mouth as I gagged at the taste of salt.
Tears filled my eyes as I tried to shove him off of me, but I was weak and couldn't fight as he shoved more food into my mouth, choking me in the process of it all.

"You're not allowed to die, not only are you a rare little shit you are also worth a fuck ton of money, I need you healthy so I won't have any issues selling you in five days." He dropped the plate to the ground as the food splattered.
It was hard to swallow as tears streamed down my cheeks.

"Y-You're selling me?!" I cried as Nikolai wiped his hands on the side of his jeans.
"Of course I am, did you really think I planned on keeping you?" Nikolai scoffed.
"The only reason I had you brought here, was to make your life hell before I sent you off to live with a noble family who would either make you their slave or toy." He shrugged as my brows knitted painfully.
"B-But I'm your son-"

I cried out the moment his hand connected to my face.
"You are NOTHING to me but an object that'll get me rich quick, that's all you ever was. If your worthless mother hadn't ran away with you, I could have sold you a lot sooner, the nobles like them younger than at the age of sixteen." Nikolai sighed pinching the bridge of his nose.
"That damned woman ruined my plans, but her life was the price she paid for acting like an idiot." He shook his head as I stood there trembling.