Chapter 4

"You heard what he said! He's planning a job!" Ulef's eyes shone with excitement. "I wonder which of the Great Houses he's going to strike."

"It'll be one of the most powerful ones," said Disten, one of Camon's head pointmen. He was missing a hand, but his eyes and ears were among the keenest in the crew. "Kelsier never bothers himself with small-time jobs."

I sat quietly, my cup of water now empty on the table. Vin sat beside me, no longer unconscious. Her drink of choice was ale.

The table was crowded with people; Kelsier had let the thieves return to their home for a bit before his meeting began. I, however, would have preferred to remain with only Vin.

I was grateful for Dockson's help. He'd patched up her wounds nicely enough. Perhaps too nicely. Maybe if she was a little more beaten down she wouldn't have chastised me so.

***

"Mistborn?" Vin asked in a hushed voice, her eyes wide.

"That's right," Dockson had said. He surveyed Vin's expression. "Don't look so terrified, child. You are half-siblings, are you not?"

Vin nodded.

"Then you can see why Y/n is the one with Allomancy and you are not—she is the only of the two of you who has an obligator father."

"That's exactly what I'm worried about," Vin whispered. Suddenly, she came to a realization and turned towards me slowly. "You knew, didn't you?"

I hesitated. "Not that I was Mistborn. But...I knew that I was...different. I could do things other people couldn't."

"And you didn't think to tell me?" Vin asked.

"I didn't want you to worry like you always do," I replied, frowning.

"I worry because I care, Y/n. Being Mistborn...it will get you into trouble. And you can't deal with trouble on your own. We both know that."

***

"The Survivor hasn't bothered himself with any jobs lately," said Harmon, an older, scraggly-bearded burglar. "He's barely been seen in Luthadel a handful of times during the last few years. In fact, he hasn't pulled any jobs since..."

"This is the first one?" Ulef asked eagerly. "The first since he escaped the Pits? Then it's bound to be something spectacular!"

"Did he say anything about it, Y/n?" Disten asked.

Vin's words echoed in my head. You can't deal with trouble on your own. We both know that.

I was a little bitter. I knew that I wasn't as street smart as her. I couldn't fight as well. I couldn't be as quick or quiet or stealthy. But she'd never taught me how. If she had, then maybe she'd be a little less worried.

Instead, though, she'd raised a sister who could never take care of herself out on the streets.

"Y/n?" Disten waved a stumpy arm in my direction, catching my attention.

"What?" I asked, looking up.

"Kelsier," Disten repeated. "Did he say anything about the job he's planning?"

I shook my head. Kelsier and Dockson had left a short time ago, promising to return after I'd had some time to think about the things they had told me. There was an implication in their words, however—an offer. Whatever job they were planning, I was invited to participate.

"Why'd he pick you to be his twixt, anyway, Y/n?" Ulef asked. "Did he say anything about that?"

The subtext was clear. To the others, I was just a dumb pretty girl. So why had I been chosen to be Kelsier's contact between Camon's...Milev's...crew?