Chapter 29

It took returning to the Venture ballroom to remind me what true majesty was.

I'd visited so many keeps that I had begun to grow desensitized to the splendor. There was something special about Keep Venture, however—something that the other keeps strived for, but never quite achieved. It was as if Venture were the parent, and the others were well-taught children. All of the keeps were beautiful, but there was no denying which one was the finest.

The enormous Venture hall, lined by a row of massive pillars on each side, seemed even more grand than usual. I couldn't quite decide why. I thought about it as I waited for a servant to take my shawl. The normal limelights shone outside the stained-glass windows, spraying the room with shards of light. The tables were immaculate beneath their pillared overhang. The lord's table, set on the small balcony at the very end of the hallway, looked as regal as ever.

It's almost...too perfect, I thought, frowning to myself.

Everything seemed slightly exaggerated. The tablecloths were even whiter, and pressed even flatter, than usual. The servants' uniforms seemed particularly sharp. Instead of regular soldiers at the doors, hazekillers stood looking intentionally impressive, distinguished by their wooden shields and lack of armor. All together, the room made it seem as if even the regular Venture perfection had been heightened.

"Something's wrong, Sazed," I whispered as a servant moved off to prepare her table.

"What do you mean, Mistress?" the tall steward asked, standing behind me and to the side.

"There are too many people here," I said, realizing one of the things that was bothering me. Ball attendance had been tapering off during the last few months. Yet, it seemed like everyone had returned for the Venture event. And they all wore their finest.

"Something's going on," I said quietly. "Something we don't know about."

"Yes..." Sazed said quietly. "I sense it too. Perhaps I should go to the stewards' dinner early."

"Good idea," I said. "I think I might just skip the meal this evening. We're a bit late, and it looks like people have already started chatting."

Sazed smiled.

"What?"

"I remember a time when you would never skip a meal, Mistress."

I snorted. "Just be glad I never tried to stuff my pockets with food from one of these balls—trust me, I was tempted. Now, get going."

Sazed nodded and moved off toward the stewards' dinner.

I scanned the chatting groups. No sign of Shan, thankfully. Unfortunately, Kliss was nowhere to be seen either, so I had to choose someone else to go to for gossip.

I strolled forward, smiling at Lord Idren Seeris, a cousin to House Elariel and a man I had danced with on several occasions. He acknowledged me with a stiff nod, and I joined his group.

I smiled at the other members of the group—three women and one other lord. I knew them all at least passingly, and had danced with Lord Yestal. However, this evening all four of them gave me cold looks.

"I haven't been to Keep Venture in a while," I said, falling into her persona as a country girl. "I'd forgotten how majestic it is!"

"Indeed," said one of the ladies. "Excuse me—I'm going to go get something to drink."

"I'll go with you," one of the other ladies added, both of them leaving the group.

I watched them go, frowning.