Chapter 23

"They say that the deaths of the Geffenry brothers were a retaliation for the murder of Lord Entrone," Lady Kliss said quietly. Behind my group, the musicians played upon their stage, but the evening was growing late, and few people danced.

Lady Kliss's circle of partygoers frowned at the news. There were about six of them, including me and my companion—one Milen Davenpleu, a young heir to a minor house title.

"Kliss, really," Milen said. "Houses Geffenry and Tekiel are allies. Why would Tekiel assassinate two Geffenry noblemen?"

"Why indeed?" Kliss said, leaning forward conspiratorially, her massive blond bun wobbling slightly. Kliss had never displayed much fashion sense. She was an excellent source of gossip, however.

"You remember when Lord Entrone was found dead in the Tekiel gardens?" Kliss asked. "Well, it seemed obvious that one of House Tekiel's enemies had killed him. But, House Geffenry has been petitioning Tekiel for an alliance— apparently, a faction within the house thought that if something happened to enflame the Tekiels, they would be more willing to seek allies."

"You're saying that Geffenry purposely killed a Tekiel ally?" asked Rene, Kliss's date. He scrunched up his ample brow in thought.

Kliss patted Rene's arm. "Don't worry about it too much, dear," she advised, then turned eagerly back to the conversation. "Don't you see? By secretly killing Lord Entrone, Geffenry hoped to get the allegiance it needs. That would give it access to those Tekiel canal routes through the eastern plains."

"But it backfired," Milen said thoughtfully. "Tekiel discovered the ruse, and killed Ardous and Callins."

"I danced with Ardous a couple of times at the last ball," I said. Now he's dead, his corpse left on the streets outside a skaa slum.

"Oh?" Milen asked. "Was he any good?"

I frowned. "Not very." That's all you can ask, Milen? A man is dead, and you just want to know if I liked him more than you?

"Well, now he's dancing with the worms," said Tyden, the final man in the group. Milen gave the quip a pity laugh, which was more than it deserved. Tyden's attempts at humor generally left something to be desired. He seemed like the type who would have been more at home with the ruffians of Camon's crew than the noblemen of the dance hall.

Of course, Dox says they're all like that, underneath. My conversation with Dockson still dominated my thoughts. When I'd started coming to the noblemen's balls back on that first night—the night I'd nearly been killed—I'd thought about how fake everything seemed. How had I forgotten that original impression? How had I let myself get taken in, to begin admiring their poise and their splendor? Now, every nobleman's arm around my waist made me cringe—as if I could feel the rot within their hearts.

How many skaa had Milen killed? What about Tyden? He seemed like the type who would enjoy a night with the skaa women. But, still I played along.

I had finally worn my black gown this evening, somehow feeling the need to set myself apart from the other women with their bright colors and often brighter smiles.

However, I couldn't avoid the others' company; I had finally begun to gain the confidences the crew needed, dozens of little tidbits that would be of vital use to the crew's efforts.

One such tidbit was about House Venture. The family was bunkering up for what it expected to be an extended house war

"Milen?" Lord Rene asked. "Are you still planning on joining us for a game of shelldry tomorrow?"

"Of course, Rene," Milen said.

"Didn't you promise that last time?" Tyden asked.

"I'll be there," Milen said. "Something came up last time."