Chapter 9

I pushed against the coin and threw myself up into the mist. I flew away from earth and stone, soaring through the dark currents of the sky, wind fluttering my cloak.

This is freedom, I thought, breathing deeply of the cool, damp air. I closed my eyes, feeling the passing wind. This was what I was always missing.

I opened my eyes as I began to descend. I waited until the last moment, then flicked a coin. It hit the cobblestones, and I Pushed against it lightly, slowing my descent. I burned pewter with a flash and hit the ground running, dashing along Fellise's quiet streets.

The late- autumn air was cool, but winters were generally mild in the Central Dominance. Some years passed without even a flake of snow.

I tossed a coin backward, then used it to Push myself slightly up and to the right. I landed on a low stone wall, barely breaking stride as I ran spryly along the wall's top. Burning pewter enhanced more than muscles—it increased all the body's physical abilities. Keeping pewter at a low burn gave me a sense of balance that any night burglar would have envied.

The wall turned north, and I paused at the corner. I fell into a crouch, bare feet and sensitive fingers gripping the chill stone. My copper on to hide my Allomancy, I flared tin to strain my senses.

Stillness. Aspens made insubstantial ranks in the mist, like emaciated skaa standing in their work lines. Estates rolled in the distance—each one walled, manicured, and well guarded. There were far fewer dots of light in the city than there were in Luthadel. Many of the homes were only part- time residences, their masters away visiting some other sliver of the Final Empire.

Blue lines suddenly appeared before me—one end of each pointing at my chest, the other disappearing into the mists. I immediately jumped to the side, dodging as a pair of coins shot past in the night air, leaving trails in the mist. I flared pewter, landing on the cobbled street beside the wall. My tin-enhanced ears picked out a scraping sound; then a dark form shot into the sky, a few blue lines pointing to his coin pouch.

I dropped a coin and threw myself into the air after my opponent. They soared for a moment, flying over the grounds of some unsuspecting nobleman. My opponent suddenly changed course in the air, jerking toward the mansion itself. I followed, letting go of the coin below me, instead burning iron and Pulling on one of the mansion's window latches.

My opponent hit first, and I heard a thud as he ran into the side of the building. He was off a second later.

A light brightened, and a confused head poked out of a window as I spun in the air, landing feet-first against the mansion. I immediately kicked off of the vertical surface, angling myself slightly and Pushing against the same window latch. Glass cracked, and I shot away into the night before gravity could reclaim me.

I flew through the mists, eyes straining to keep track of my quarry. He shot a couple of coins back at me, but I Pushed them away with a dismissive thought. A hazy blue line fell downward—a dropped coin—and my opponent moved to the side again.

I dropped my own coin and Pushed. However, my coin suddenly jerked backward along the ground—the result of a Push from my opponent. The sudden move changed the trajectory of my jump, throwing me sideways. I yelped, flicking another coin to the side, using it to Push myself back on track. By then, I'd lost my quarry.

I sighed and hit the soft ground just inside the wall. I emptied a few coins into my hand, then tossed the mostly full pouch into the air, giving it a strong Push in the direction I had seen my quarry disappear. The pouch disappeared into the mists, trailing a faint blue Allomantic line.

A scattering of coins suddenly shot from the bushes ahead, streaking toward my bag. I smiled. My opponent had assumed that the flying pouch was me. He was too far away to see the coins in my hand, just as he had been too far away for me to see the coins he carried.