Chapter 12

You alright, sweetheart?

The words had been floating around my head for days, and each time they resurfaced, my stomach did a funny little flip. I'd been thinking of them too often.

It didn't help that Sazed had increased the number of lessons I was supposed to attend each week. During the hours of lecturing, it was far too easy for me to remember Kelsier's large hands cupping my cheeks...his arms caging me close...

I huffed in frustration and massaged my temples.

"Are you alright?"

I opened my eyes to see Cosahn staring at me, concern written across her face. She had helped me with styling my hair for the evening.

"Yes—fine."

"I believe they are ready for you."

I nodded and left my room. As I walked, I resisted the urge to pick at my noblewoman's dress. Even after a half week of being forced to wear one— Sazed's suggestion—I found the bulky garment uncomfortable. It pulled tightly at my waist and chest, then fell to the floor with several layers of ruffled fabric, making it difficult to walk. I kept feeling as if I were going to trip —and, despite the gown's bulk, I felt as if I were somehow exposed by how tight it was through the chest, not to mention the neckline's low curve. Though I had exposed nearly as much skin when wearing normal, buttoning shirts, this seemed different somehow.

Still, I had to admit that the gown made quite a difference. The girl who had stood in the mirror before me was a strange, foreign creature. The light blue dress, with its white ruffles and lace, matched the sapphire barrettes in my hair. Cosahn had done a wonderful job pulling it back into a twist. It was strange. I looked older. I looked...like a lady.

I also wore a sapphire necklace—modest by noble standards, but still worth more than two hundred boxings. It was complemented by a single ruby bracelet for accentuation. Apparently, the current fashion dictated a single splash of a different color to provide contrast.

I made my way to toward the front of Mansion Renoux, where Sazed waited with a carriage.

It was time to make my first appearance as a noblewoman.

***

The carriage shook suddenly, and I jumped in surprise. The vehicle continued normally, however, and Sazed didn't move from his place in the driver's seat.

A sound came from above. I flared my metals, tensing, as a figure dropped down off the top of the carriage and landed on the footman's rest just outside my door. Kelsier smiled as he peeked his head in the window.

My heart stuttered and I frowned as I sat back in my seat. "You could have just asked us to pick you up."

"No need," Kelsier said, pulling open the carriage door and swinging inside. It was already dark outside, and he wore his mistcloak. "I warned Sazed I'd be dropping by sometime during the trip."

"And you didn't tell me?"

Kelsier gave me a look as he pulled the door shut. "You might not have shown up if I had."

I frowned. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"You've been avoiding me."

There...may have been some truth to that. Each time Kelsier had been around, I'd thrown myself into my lessons with Sazed or had left the shop with the excuse of practicing my Allomancy in the mists. This silly schoolgirl crush was bad enough without making a fool of myself in his presence.

"I've just been preparing for tonight," I said.

Kelsier didn't push the issue. "Have your preparations proved useful, then? Do you feel ready?"