03. frozen pizza

Checking the time on my phone, I peeled myself off my bed and decided to head to the grocery store to buy some ice cream

Checking the time on my phone, I peeled myself off my bed and decided to head to the grocery store to buy some ice cream. I was planning on having a movie night by myself on a Friday night. It was what my life had come to since leaving the city. 

Arriving to the local store, I threw my long brown locks up into a ponytail and made my way inside. I knew I wanted cookie dough, so I was on a mission to grab it and get out. There was nothing more humiliating than being seen by too many people in my bummy fit.

Grabbing the carton, I quickly turned around and eyed down the self-checkout. Before I could make it there, I saw him eyeing the frozen pizza. I hesitated for a moment wondering if I should say hi or keep walking considering the outfit I was in. But, I also saw him get punched pretty damn hard a week ago and it'd be wrong to not check up on him. 

"Miles?" Fuck, he noticed me before my brain could even choose.

"Heeeey." I respond, giving Mike an awkward wave as he held a frozen pizza in his hand.

"I seem to see you everywhere." he responded. There was a faint bruise on his face where the punch had happened.

"I know. It's like we live in the same area." I tease with a light laugh. I was dreading every moment considering what I looked like. 

A familiar sound rang through the air as Mike got another phone call.

"Hello? Wait...what? Shit, okay." 

I stared at him as he spoke in the phone. He looked up at me for a brief moment and back down at the frozen pizza.

"It's alright, don't apologize. I hope everything is alright." He responded as stress came over his face. 

 A few more moments passed until he hung up the phone and slid it in his pocket.

"Fuck, sorry about that. The babysitter that's watching my sister right now has a family emergency and has to dip out." he told me

"Luckily, you're heading home soon." 

"Except I was going to head home and drop off this pizza and then I have work."

Work? It was like 9PM at night.

"Work? At this time?"

"I'm a security guard. It's not ideal, but it's a long story. I just really don't want to bring her to work with me again." he started rambling, almost as if I wasn't there. 

For once, my brain decided to make a quick decision as I uttered the next few words.

"I can babysit." 

"Miles, I don't expect you to do that."

"I have nothing going on tonight except this." I responded, holding up the pint of ice cream with a light laugh. I really had nothing going on. Aly was on a date with the guy from Harry's and she was the only friend I really had, so spending my Friday night not alone would be suitable.

"I really appreciate that Miles. I owe you - and not just for this but for the eye too. " he said, pointing to it as he began walking towards the self-check out and I walked beside him.