13. falling wine

"It could be worse, Miles

"It could be worse, Miles." Aly responded, as we both stood in front of the mirror with our make-up wipes stained with make-up.

"No, it really couldn't be. You know I'm not the type to say something so...open like that."

"Well, now you know wine makes you more loving." Aly responded with a laugh.

It was Thanksgiving night and we had just finished having our massive feast at Aly's house. I was spending the night at hers so I wouldn't have to go sleep in my parent's house alone.

I walked into the hallway and back into Aly's room as I laid on her bed.

"Aly, he literally ignored what I said and ran off with the volunteer girl. Does it really get worse than that?"

"You caught him off guard. He probably didn't know you enjoyed spending time with him like that."

"How does he not know? I showed up to his work drunk."

"Yeah...but for one, you were drunk. And two, I doubt you actually felt anything for him back then."

"Fair because I didn't. But, I'm still not sure what I feel now. I mean, I rejected Carter because I know where that situation would've ended up and I keep thinking about Mike - but I don't know if that necessarily means I really feel something."

Aly looked at me and let out a laugh to herself. It was a laugh as if she couldn't take me serious and thought I was crazy.

"You clearly feel something, Miles. You wouldn't be thinking about him over Carter if you didn't."

I let out a sigh and nodded. I couldn't quite put into words what I felt for him, but I knew I was embarrassed above anything right now. Having him dash out on the conversation after what I had told him was humiliating and he didn't even try to call or text me after either.

-

I was scheduled to work Black Friday at Siena's and was anything but excited. I figured a wine store wouldn't have too many people fighting over bottles, but the deals my parents were having me promote were quite good. Getting three bottles of wine that were imported from Italy for the price of one would've been one thrifty way to get drunk. 

It was early afternoon and I already had quite a few customers come in. It was definitely the busiest day I had seen at Siena's

Finally, a lull hit. The USPS worker came in and dropped off two boxes full of wine which we definitely needed considering a lot of the stock was gone within a few hours.

I began unboxing the bottles of wine and placing them in the correctly labeled bins. This went on for the next thirty minutes, with no customers making their way inside. It was peaceful enough that I was able to blast Taylor Swift over the Bluetooth and hum to myself quietly. Through my humming and bored mind, I didn't even realize that I had placed some of the bottles in a not-so-stable position. Before I knew it, a few of the bottles that were on one of the higher shelves began dropping to the ground and splattering everywhere. It happened within three seconds. Three bottles, spilled everywhere. My white sweater and blue jeans were covered in none other than red wine. And to top it off, one last bottle fell down and splashed up into my face. There was wine and glass everywhere.

"Fuck!" I yelled, wiping the red wine out of my face and wanting to scream again when I saw the wine splattered sweater I was not sporting. 

"Do you need help?"

Of course. To really top it off, Mike happened to be outside the store window and watched the whole ordeal happen. Just my luck.

"If I needed help, I would've called you." I stated, refusing to look at him. Partly from embarrassment of what just happened but also because of embarrassment of what happened two nights prior.

I finally turned to face him as he was holding a broom in his hand already. He must've found the broom tucked behind one of the shelves in the entrance. Why was he always coming to the rescue when there was glass with a broom? 

I watched him silently sweep up the glass. I went in the back and grabbed the mop. We both silently cleaned up the disaster I created for the next five minutes, before I heard him clear his throat.

"How does it look?" he responded, dumping the glass pieces in the trashcan and glancing over at me.

"Much better, thank you." I responded, setting the mop to the side and putting down a yellow caution sign down by the scene of the crime.

My Taylor Swift playlist was still blasting, which made the silent clean up go by a little less awkwardly. 

I watched Mike dig his hands into his normal blue jeans and make eye contact with me. I tried to avoid it, but I knew he had come with something to say. Was I ready to hear it? Not really. But, I figured if he had come all the way here - it was worth listening to.

"Look, the other night when I left like that, you know....I...um..I felt bad." he admitted, scratching the back of his neck.

I just nodded at what he said because he was damn right. He should feel bad.

"Obviously I was at the party with someone and I just felt...um..awkward with that person watching the conversation and waiting a few feet away." he said.

"Sure." I responded, not wanting to acknowledge the obvious fact that he brought a date.

"I have been thinking about what you said and I guess what it meant or means." he stated, glancing over at me as if he wanted me to fill in the blanks. 

"What meant what?" 

"You told me you wanted to be around me."

I hated having to hear him say it because I had to relive the embarrassment of saying it and him running off.

"Do we have to do this right now, Mike? I'm covered in wine right now and I just wasted four bottles of Italian wine - I just don't want to do this." I respond, letting out a tired sigh. Of course I wanted him to be here, but having to get in touch with my feelings again was tiring. Having to admit how I felt meant putting myself in a position to be hurt. I had lived through four heartbreaks in my life and I didn't want to live through another one. 

"Okay, yeah I know the timing of me showing up fucking sucked. But Miles, I'm trying to understand."

"What do you think it meant?"

"I think it meant..." his eyes wandered to the ground and back up to me. I hated the silence and I figured I had to get over my fear of being hurt and just tap into my feelings.

"It meant what you think."

"Do you feel something for me?" he questioned, as I watched him start to walk closer to me.

"Apparently." I responded with a defeated sigh, knowing I had to just show my cards at this point.

Mike's face looked surprised but not disgusted. This was good, right? Although, I wasn't quite sure how he felt considering he did bring a date to that party a few days ago.

He stepped a few inches closer to me and I felt him tuck a loose strand of wine-drenched hair behind my ear. 

"You are the most beautiful girl I've ever seen." whispered Mike, staring into my eyes with clear intent.