12. i want to be around you

Was it a mistake to have followed Mike out of the party? Possibly

Was it a mistake to have followed Mike out of the party? Possibly. But, I had made it this far and he was standing in front of me for the first time in a week - except he had his little brunette friend standing beside him and looking up at me.

"Can I talk to you?" I questioned, ignoring the brunette girl's gaze and only focusing on Mike in front of me.

"I can't right now." he responds coldly, glancing at the girl beside him and beginning to turn his feet to walk away.

"Mike, I'm sorry."

"Miles - right now is just not the time." he responds, continuing to walk. 

" You know that I didn't go out of town on purpose. And, I do admit I messed up for going. It was a waste, you were right." I continued, making my voice a bit louder as he walked away.

As I admitted to him being right, he turned around and looked at me. The brunette that was beside him paused as well. I watched him whisper something to her and she began to walk away and towards his car.

Mike began to walk closer to me, probably realizing I wasn't going to shut up.

"I'm glad you can admit you're wrong." he said, digging his hands into his pockets.

"Do you really think I'm that bad of a person?"

"No, I was a bit harsh with what I said. However, you're not who I thought you were."

"You barely even know me enough to say that."

"Maybe, but I saw what I needed to see."

I knew I had fucked up, but did I fuck up that bad to be punished like this? 

"Why are you being like this? I literally admitted I was wrong and apologized."

"And, I accepted your apology. But, that doesn't mean I'm going to want to be around you."

"But, I want to be around you."

Damn. I knew I had fucked up when I said that because I watched his eyes finally meet mine and stare into them for a few moments. I meant what I had said, but it wasn't the right time to reveal my cards.

"Why would you say that?" he finally said, keeping gaze on me for the longest time the entire conversation.

"Because it's true. I do want to be around you."

Mike looked down at the ground as he let out an audible sigh and was fidgeting with his hands. I watched his jaw sharpen as he finally decided to speak up.

"Look, I can't have this type of conversation right now. I have someone waiting for me." Mike responded, as he walked away.

I couldn't chase after him this time. I had said what I said. And now all I felt was anger. He let me stand there and basically explain how I felt towards him and still chose to walk away. How was he any better than Carter? He wasn't. 

I stood in the same spot for a few minutes as I watched him unlock his car. My eyes had welled up and a few tears trickled down my cheek. He turned around to look back at me for a quick second before getting in his car with the brunette.

-

sorry for the short chapter, but i just wanted to make this one about their convo! :) thanks for all the love so far on cardigan!!! for all you slow burn lovers - hope it's exceeding your expectations.