08. coffee cup

I had managed to get in four hours of sleep after being dropped off at my place by Mike around 6:15AM

I had managed to get in four hours of sleep after being dropped off at my place by Mike around 6:15AM. I checked my phone as I laid in bed and saw no messages from Mike. Shrugging it off, I headed downstairs and made myself a bowl of cereal.

Within 20 minutes, Mike had sent a simple text.

It's Mike. Let's meet at 1 at Coffee Cup

sounds good

It was settled then. I wasn't quite sure what Mike was about reveal to me, but I knew I wanted to look more put together than I looked at 6:00AM in his passenger seat.

-

I opted to wear my favorite pair of flared leggings and a simple cropped tee and denim jacket over it. I didn't want to overdo it, but I could tell as I entered the coffee shop, I overdid it somehow. Maybe it my hair being in a perfectly slicked back bun with the chunky gold jewelry- but I could feel some eyes as I walked inside. 

I saw Mike sitting at one of the tables in the back as I approached him. 

"Hey." I said taking a seat and spotting the to-go coffee cup already in front of him. He was wearing his denim coat and a white sweatshirt under it with jeans.

 "Oh, hi. I already grabbed a coffee - I needed it. " he explained.

Nodding, I got up and proceeded to wait in the short line to order my usual - an iced vanilla latte with oatmilk.

Minutes later, I returned to Mike who set his eyes on me as soon as I took a seat. 

"Thanks for coming. Again, sorry for being...weird this morning."

"It's alright." I respond, taking a sip from the straw of my plastic to-go cup.

"Listen, I've been dealing with a lot of stress the past few months. It's been rubbing off on my sleeping habits and unfortunately you had to see it for yourself.

"I understand, but what's stressing you?"

Before answering me, I watched Mike let out a sigh as he leaned back in his chair and then leaned forward.

"I don't want to dump all this on you, but like I said I've needed someone to talk to."

"Then talk."

He lets out a small chuckle, leaning forward and taking a sip of his coffee.

"Abby and I have another sibling. Garrett. He's been missing for years, but I've made it my mission to find out who took him and hopefully...get him back."

My mind almost went blank upon hearing that. I couldn't imagine what he was going to say, but it was definitely not that. Before I could speak, he continued.

"I think I could find his kidnapper with the help of my friend, Vanessa. But, I've also struggled with sleep for years after it happened, so I take sleeping pills which result in nightmares." he explains, pausing for a moment to read the expression on my face.

"Wow, I'm so sorry Mike. I had no idea. Can I ask where your parents are in all of this?"

"They're gone too." he states in a more stern tone, taking a sip from his coffee.

"So you've been watching Abby this whole time, while also trying to piece together who took your brother?"

"Yes, for years. And my latest challenge has been my aunt breathing down my back about getting custody of Abby - which is why I'm working this security job. I'm trying to make enough to hopefully  sell the house and get me and Abby an apartment and prove to her that I'm fully capable. "

I nod along with what he's saying, not even having the words to relate. I couldn't imagine. My life had been so easy for me, and his life had been the polar opposite. The weirdest part of it all was how much more drawn to him I was in this moment.

"I'm sorry, that was a lot. But, I have no one else to really...explain all of this too. And you seem to keep popping up, so I took that as a sign or something. I dunno."

"It's alright. Thanks for telling me. I'm here for you in any way." I explain, looking over at him.

"I don't want you to pity me, Miles. I just want you to understand is all."

"I'm not pitying you, I-I mean I was..but I won't."

I was 100% pitying him. I had just assumed he was a burn out from Hurricane. And honesty, I hadn't thought much about him at all. I just recognized him as a friendly face I had kept running into and nothing more - but now he was much more than that to me. 

Mike nods and pauses for a moment, taking in the surroundings of the coffee house for the first time we had been there. It had truly felt like it was just him and I in the room and I wasn't quite opposed to it.

"Anyways, let's just leave it at that. I don't want to make this weird between us - I just want you to understand..me, I guess. " he shrugs.

"I do. I think you're really awesome for being there for Abby." Awesome? I almost vomited hearing my word choice. 

He gave me the first smile of the conversation, leaning back again in his seat.

"Abby is having a Thanksgiving pageant at school next Friday. You should come."

"Oh, how sweet."

"She wants you there, she wanted me to tell you."

"Really? She barely spoke two words to me when I babysat."

"That's just how she is. But, she told me to invite you - so you should come. It's rare for her to want anyone but me at school functions."

"Well, then I have to go." I tease, giving him a smile. "But, yeah I'll be there. Just text me the details." I respond.

As the coffee house chatting went on, we explored more lighter topics gearing away from the bombs he had dropped on me.

-

 i promise...things will get spicy soon :)