18. white roses

Mike and I had woken up entangled with each other at the motel and quickly left to get back home

Mike and I had woken up entangled with each other at the motel and quickly left to get back home. He had to relieve the babysitter of her duties and he also hated leaving Abby for too long. Once we pulled into the familiar driveway, he took my hand and lead me inside. It was weird how walking into the once unfamiliar home started to feel like a home to me.

"Thanks for watching her." Mike said, handing the babysitter cash and waving bye. Abby was on the couch watching tv as Mike went over and sat beside her. He had a conversation with her about her day and what she had done with the babysitter. I decided to sit on the other side of her and her face lit up when she saw me.

"Miles." she said, smiling over at me and waving.

"Hi Abby." I said, sitting beside her and seeing the content look on Mike's face when Abby had acknowledged me with excitement. Mike had gotten up and decided to go take a shower as I was left outside with the tv and Abby.

"Are you going to come to my Christmas pageant?" she asked, looking over at me with hopeful eyes. It hurt hearing her ask knowing that I had missed the last one, but this time was different. Mike and I had something going on, so I felt more obligated to go and I definitely cared a whole lot more too.

"Of course. I'll be there." I responded.

"Promise? Because you missed the Thanksgiving one."

"I know I'm sorry. But I'll be at this one, I promise you." I said, giving her the most reassuring smile I had. 

-

A few days passed and I hadn't seen Mike. We had both been busy working - Siena's had been crazy with Christmas right around the corner. Everyone in Hurricane wanted wine for their Christmas parties.

It was the night of the Christmas pageant for Abby and I made sure I had nothing getting in the way. 

I sat down in front of my make-up mirror and started doing my normal routine. I had laid out a red sweater that felt Christmas-y to wear with my favorite pair of Levi's and black boots. I had gotten a trim earlier which also came with a blowout, so I was feeling pretty good about the way my hair was looking. 

I had insisted that I just meet Mike at Abby's school because I knew he had to drop her off a bit early for the show and I wasn't going to be ready in time. Once I got to the school, I saw his denim jacket sitting in one of the chairs in the auditorium. I slid in the seat beside him quietly and he glanced over at me with a huge smile.

"Hi there." he said, leaning over and placing a kiss on my cheek.

"Hi." I whispered, placing my hand on his thigh and giving it a squeeze.

Now that we had slept together, it was a lot harder for me to hold back any type of affection with Mike - even a subtle squeeze of his thigh to let him know he was mine. 

"She's going to be really happy you're here."

"Good. I know she really wanted me to be here."

"I think she just really likes the idea of you and I being here together. Having two supporters versus one goes a long way." Mike whispers, sliding his hand into mine as the lights dimmed and the kids came on stage.

The show was about an hour and it consisted of mostly Christmas carols and a few little acting skits. It was definitely adorable and totally worth attending.

After the show ended, Mike and I waited in the lobby for Abby. Mike had a bouquet of white roses in one hand and my hand in his other open hand. Abby ran to us and immediately gave Mike a giant hug. She took the flowers and admired them for a few moments before giving me a hug too.