07. nightmare

The first tap didn't wake him up, as he began to almost shake in what seemed like fear

The first tap didn't wake him up, as he began to almost shake in what seemed like fear. Suddenly, he began talking in his sleep.

"No, you can't do that! No!"

I touched Mike's shoulder a bit harder this time to try and wake him yet again.

"Mike!" I say in a louder voice, watching him jump and abruptly wake up. 

"Are you okay?" I ask him with fear in my eyes. I hadn't been around anyone who had nightmares that intense, so seeing him visibly shaken up was a bit unnerving.

"Fuck." he whispered putting his face in his hands. " Yeah, I'm fine." he said, choosing to not make eye contact with me. 

He quickly glanced at the clock on the wall and stood up. "It's 5:55AM, let's go." he says, grabbing his coat and water bottle. 

"Is everything okay?" I ask, almost weirded out at his decision to not discuss what just happened.

"I said I'm fine." he states, still avoiding eye contact with me and holding the door open so that we could leave the security camera room. 

I followed him out to his car after he locked up the building. His hands were deep in his pockets as he ran a hand through his ruffled hair and zipped up his blue hoodie.

We make it to his beat up green car as he unlocks it and gets in. The awkward silence was killing me. Had I said something last night when I was drunk? Or was this because he was embarrassed by the nightmare he had?

I silently slide into the seat and cross my arms over my chest. 

"What's your address?" he asks, handing me his phone to put it in. I type in my address and hand him back the phone, still evaluating his body language. It was stiff and almost seemed tense. 

My house was only 12 minutes. I could make it 12 minutes in silence, I thought. I stared out at the abandoned buildings we passed and the occasional car. It was 6AM on a Saturday, so sleeping in was expected of the residents of Hurricane. I even decided to count all the cars I saw as a way to take my mind off the tension.

As we pulled into my driveway, I saw Mike's eyes widen as he saw the big house unraveled to him. I unclicked my seat belt and almost got out before the familiar voice decided to speak.

"Look, I'm sorry for being weird. It's just a lot to explain. " Mike says.

"It's okay."

"Can you meet for coffee later today? I mean, after we get some rest. I could probably use someone to talk to."

His eyes were pleading and I saw the hurt in them.

"Yeah, sure." I respond, trying to be as empathetic as a new side of him was revealed to me.

"Thank you. I'll text you." he says.

"You don't have my number. "

Handing me his phone, I typed in my number and gave it back.

He gave me the first smile I had seen from him in what seemed like days as I returned the favor.

hi all! let me know what you're thinking so far of this story <3