Chapter 2: The tributes

After Sara and I had our meet up we both went our seperate ways to the reaping. Looking at her walk beside all the girls made me realize how perfect she is. There's no other girl in this world I'd ever want or need. 

--REAPING SQUARE---
The elderly mayor steps up on stage, holding the mic in his hands, beside him layed the bowl of names. A video on a huge screen plays above the mayors head. "War, TERRIBLE war." President Snow's voice in the video says dramatically.  After the video finished, the mayor goes on to remind us 2 boys and 2 girls will be picked this year. Even though the mayor is in the midst of reaping the girl tribute, the only two things I can actually focus on is the dirt being kicked up into my shoes and Sara.  Everything that surrounds me is colorless and dull, which sums up District 12 for you. "Orla Menken" The mayors voice echos throughout the square. A young girl who looks to be about 13 slowly steps up to the stage with trembling arms. I've never seen her before, probably because she's so much younger so she goes to the little kid school.  Her unkempt appearance, tight dress and olive skin  assured people she was from the Seam. As she was walking up the stage, she looked so dainty and frail she could split in half any minute now. Orla began breaking down in tears until she was nearly gasping for air. "And now for the 2nd female tribute!" the mayor says in an upbeat town. Why is he happy about this? What is so cheery about any of this? I think to myself. The mayor pulls a slip of paper out of the bowl and announces "Maysilee Donner." I rapidly whip my head around, looking for Maysilee in the girls section, I actually know Maysilee, I've never had an actual conversation with Maysilee before but I know we're both frowned upon in school. My eyes finally find Maysilee, gripping onto one of her friends with a pained expression on her face, A tear skids down her friends face, light as snow with small bits of freckling. Like sprinkles of cinnamon on a fine (expensive) pastry. I think her friend's name is Carine Whitlock, again I've never had an actual conversation with either of them: Merchant girls- well Merchant people overall are way out of my territory. "And now last, but certainly not least, the two boy tributes!" The mayor says, again in an upbeat tone. The mayor reaches his hand into the bowl, hovering over our fate as if it was nothing. Finally, he selects a slip of paper and reads "Alden Boone." Alden walks up to the stage, as if everything he knows and loves isn't about to be stripped  away from him. Alden isn't skinny: but isn't morbidly obese. He must be a merchant boy, Nobody from the seam would be that well fed. "And now for the second male tribute!" the mayor announces. 
The mayor takes his damn sweet time hovering over slips of paper before deciding to dive his hand deep into the bottom of the bowl. He selects a paper and take's his time opening it. 
"Please be Vincent, Please be Vincent, Please be Vincent." I tell myself in my head while crossing my fingers behind my back. "Haymitch Abernathy!" The mayor announces to the crowd full of anxious kids. I feel a lump in my throat form and I clutch my own hand, knowing I'm officially on my own.  I step up to the stage and stand next to Alden, analyzing the crowd and resting my eyes on Sara. Sara is refusing to look at me. She's staring into the floor, not even looking up at the stage for a split second.