#09

Her eyes travelled up from his tattoo to his chin, to his lips. Meeting eyes silently, she inched forward to plant a kiss on the exposed part of his chest, her lips following the route of her gaze. Law's hand trembled slightly, as he gently let go of her body and let her take the lead. With his eyes closed, Law gave her hair a gentle tug, breaking himself free from the short kiss. Taking in the sensation of her scalp being stimulated, her eyelids fluttered gently, as Law stretched his palm out to cup her entire head. He opened his eyes to see her eyes glistening with tears; her pupils empty yet distractingly scintillating. How could her eyes hold such brightness even in her sadness, he could not comprehend. Lowering his voice, he let go of her head and sat up a little bit, resting his back on the headboard. She waited patiently for him to pull her up, as she sat cross-legged beside his upper body and took in his voice.

"I'll miss you a lot, too."

"Law..."

The tears she'd been holding back flowed down her cheeks, to which Law lifted his hand to wipe it away gingerly. He couldn't bear to see any form of pain in her eyes that looked up so lovingly at him when she was being cheeky or adorable. He wanted to protect everything about her— her eyes to only see beauty, her lips to only call out his name, and her beautiful heart to only beat to joy and excitement.

"Are you really going to be okay?"

"...Yes. I have to return to my children, and... Well, I'll just return to my old ways of running around, I guess."

Trying to lighten her situation as an escapee, she shrugged indifferently, but Law clearly saw her head hanging low and fingers fidgeting on her lap. Sitting up a bit more, he grabbed onto her hands, feeling how soft they have gotten over the days of staying together. His throat began closing up as well, and he imitated his own move he made at the bar, raising her chin with a finger. Moon managed to grin a little at that, as Law followed suit, not wanting to make this any harder for her.

"I really... I don't know what to do. Sorry."

"Don't you dare say sorry for following your dreams. You're a pirate, and I'm not. As simple as that."

"Thank you."

"No, thank you for giving me the will to survive. Next time,"

Moon's face suddenly brightened a little, as she paused in between her words to throw her hands about, animating her words.

"When I'm running away from someone," Her arms formed a running stance, and she recalled her quick feet furthering her from trouble.

"I'll know that someone actually misses me." Moving her hands to Law's face, she pulled her lips up, cupping his tanned skin dearly as if she was holding onto a child's face. Law took her hands away from his face, and grabbed onto it with a small smile.

"Weren't you staying alive for your children?"

At Law's question, she burst out in a short chuckle, her brightness contagious enough to make him mirror her actions as well.

"Yeah, but one day, when they graduate, they'll move onto a bigger town to start working and start their own lives. There will come a day for goodbye with them, too."

"Graduate?"

"Yeah. They're the ones paying me, actually. The town manages a few orphanages, and mind you, mine's the most popular one. Anyways, in return for setting up these orphanages and taking care of them, the children do have to work once they hit a certain age."

"Sounds..."

Unsure if this was a system that was just for the children, Law's eyes narrowed a little. Moon shook her head, squeezing his hands.