#29

"Teacher Moon!"

After the sweet, sweet honey-like vacation with The Heart Pirates, Moon had returned to the marines and informed her higher-ups of her pregnancy and was grateful to be excused from most trainings. The stares continued, but they were lesser as Law had predicted, saying they'll realise she is not available anymore. She scoffed after hearing it initially, but experiencing it first hand made her amazed at his intuition.

"Yes, my darling."
"Is it true? You have baby!"
"Yes, Teacher Moon has a baby inside. So we have to be gentle, okay?"
"Wow, did you eat a baby?"

Chuckling at her students asking ridiculous questions as usual, she replied them earnestly with a smile. She was never one to really count her days, but she began keeping track of the days and months of pregnancy since getting a thorough checkup at the base.

"The baby is growing! It has been 4 months. When it is about 9 months, the baby will be out to the world."
"Wow! Can we see baby?"
"Sure! I'll show you the baby when the baby is ready to meet you."

I really hope I can get through this pregnancy without the caring doctor beside me, she thought to herself, her face darkened a little. Switching back to the teacher mode she could turn on in an instant, she put a hand on her aching lower back and continued her lessons.

//♡//

The snail has been ringing for a few minutes, but Law was far from picking it up. He did warn her that this might happen quite often as no one would know when enemies would strike, but when it did happen, it always filled her with immense anxiety. What if he was getting injured? What if any of them were severely wounded?

This was the longest he had gone without picking up the snail, so she put it down and sighed loudly, touching her stomach tenderly.

"My baby, it seems like Daddy is busy. It's okay, you have Mommy."

Law was a great guy, albeit with flaws that made him human, but his identity as a pirate was something that kept her on her toes all the time. She knew that stressing out won't do her or the baby any good, so she tried her best to stop worrying, but she had no one to turn to. She only had Law, and now that Law was no longer within reach, she had no one.

"Urgh, you never did this before. Come on, you've been alone all the time."

No family, no friends. She was used to this lifestyle up until The Heart Pirates reminded her of what company felt like. They lived up to their name for sure, as her heart was always the first to feel full when she was with them. Petting the snail for a while, she decided to head out for a walk and left the small bunk she was assigned to. Donned in a long dress that showed off her small baby bump, she placed a hand over her stomach and walked around the parade square, looking at the other marines chatting in their cliques of friends. How nice it must be for them to belong somewhere, she thought. To know the names, procedures, quirks of the organisation that you are in. To turn your head and recognise that that's the cool senior, that's the one everyone is talking about, that's the one who is really good at impersonations. She envied those who had a place to call home, people who have been surrounded by the same people for more than a few years and be welcomed for their presence.

That's exactly why she loved Law. He was a person that she belonged to in every way possible. He made her feel accepted into his hardened heart, his precious crew, and his painful pasts. He was irreplaceable, and it took her much effort to open up herself too, so him not picking up stressed her out in ways she could not even explain.

After a while of walking around aimlessly, she spotted a few marines coming closer to her and changed her path, but they caught up pretty fast. Not wanting to frown and swear at them like the previous times, she maintained a straight face, looking at their amused expressions.