Five

I'm zipping up my puffy parka, arguing with myself as I get dressed

I'm zipping up my puffy parka, arguing with myself as I get dressed. I do this so often now, it doesn't even feel weird anymore.

So, Cane is my mate too. And he wants to take me outside. It's not like it's a date or something. I'm stuck here. And if the Beast is willing to take me to the village, then damnit, let's go. I check out my reflection in the full-length mirror in the bathroom and brush the invisible lint off my fur-lined leggings, make sure my knee-high boots are laced and tug my stocking cap onto my head.

Flinging open the bedroom door, I trudge down the stairs, feeling like a marshmallow in all my layers. But I am not going to freeze out there today. Not after the journey here. "Okay, I'm ready to go," I call, my voice muffled behind my scarf.

Sitting in the corner of the white sectional couch, Cane glances up at me. His cheeks puff up, much like my jacket, holding in his laughter. "Wow, that is...a lot. Would you like me just to roll you down the mountain like a snowball?"

My nostrils flare as I attempt to glare at him, but I can't help the snort of laughter that escapes me. "Shut up," I say, waddling over to him. "It's cold. I don't want to freeze to death. Last time you had me out there, I was wearing a ballgown and no freaking shoes."

Cane stands, his snow attire much sleeker than mine—black jacket, snow pants, and a beanie. "I get it," he says, holding up his hands and doing a poor job of stifling another laugh. "You will fit in perfectly with the villagers."

He opens the door for me, and I follow him out. Before I get the chance to step too far ahead of him, he holds out his hand out to me. I remain in place staring at his gloved, wiggling fingers. "Unless you really want me rolling you down the mountain, I need you to take my hand," he says.

I narrow my eyes and hesitantly reach for him. "Are you going to bloop me again?"

He lifts an eyebrow and the suggestive manner in which he took my question is written in his smirk.

For fuck's sake, Cordelia, get it together.

"Coelhinha, I will bloop you as many times as you like."

"You wish," I say, the most childish comeback I can think of sliding from my lips as I inch toward him.

"Perhaps I do, Cordelia. And it's yet to be seen if that wish will be granted." He wraps his hand around mine, pulling me in and tucking me into his side. Everything bursts into a flash of light. I hold on to his jacket for a moment as my head spins. Laughter and dozens of footsteps have my prying my eyes open.

We stand in the center of a cobblestone walkway surrounded by shops with wooden signs and snow-covered shingled roofs. I slowly tilt my head back to find a statue looming over us.

It reminds me of the snow monster that haunted a ride at my favorite amusement park as a kid. That thing scared the shit out of me with its red eyes and shaggy white fur. I would jump back and scream if it were not for the beings crowding the street. They bear an uncanny resemblance to that monster.