Twenty-One

The wind whips my hair against my face as I wrap my gloved hands around my waist

The wind whips my hair against my face as I wrap my gloved hands around my waist. My teeth chatter as I ask, "Do we ha—have to do this out—out here?"

Cane is unphased by the cold. I swear he is wearing an early fall jacket with nothing to protect his hands and neck. Maybe he's warmed by the orgasm I gave him yesterday, where I'm still cold with my unfulfilled desires.

I shouldn't be so salty about the situation. Cane was back to being his attentive self when we showered together. He washed every inch of me, yet he never realized he left me hanging.

"Your power is still unpredictable. Unless you want to blow a hole in our roof and sleep in the snow, I suggest we do this here," Cane says, drawing me out of my thoughts.

Our roof. Something about those two words makes me incredibly sad. It wasn't that long ago that I thought I'd live with Elias. That we'd leave the island together...but everything got fucked up so fast and now...this is my life.

"Delia?" Cane says, moving behind me and snaking his arms around my waist, drawing me back against him. "Are you all right?"

I swallow and glance over my shoulder, blinking back the moisture that had started to gather in my eyes. "Yeah, I'm fine. Why do you ask?"

"You've been very aloof lately. Have I done something to upset you?"

I don't know if I should be honest with him or if I should just let it go. It almost seems pointless to tell him. If he didn't even realize he left me wanting, I don't know that it would make a difference to tell him now.

And why am I so upset over this anyway? It isn't worth throwing away everything we have over one selfish moment.

Not when Cane has been here for me...and saved my life.

I'm being overly sensitive because I've felt abandoned by Elias. I miss my old life, my parents.

That's all this is. Everything is just a lot right now, and I am letting little things upset me. I don't need to push Cane away.

"I'm sorry, Cane," I say, turning to face him and slipping my arms around his neck. "I haven't meant to be. I guess I've just been feeling a little down the past few days. I didn't mean to take it out on you."

"It's all right. Is there something I could do to help with that?"

I reach for the most obtainable request. It would be the one thing that would give me instant gratification and ease some of my worries. "I would like to see my parents. We could go together. My mother would find you handsome and shamelessly flirt with you."

He holds me closer to him and tilts his face to mine. "We could do that, but you know, if you master your power, you could see them whenever you want. You could create that bridge into their dreams and summon them to you."