Nine

I'm standing in front of my incredibly stocked closet, trying to decide what to wear for this dinner with Cane

I'm standing in front of my incredibly stocked closet, trying to decide what to wear for this dinner with Cane. We aren't leaving the house, it seems like he just asked me because he knows I'm feeling lonely, and he probably really does want someone to help him with his dishes.

On the other hand, I know that if I did show up in the dining room naked, the vampire would have zero complaints. In fact, he'd probably stand up and strip right down with me. The idea sends an unexpected shiver through me, and an uninvited thought pops into my head: I wonder what other tattoos he has.

"Stop, Cordelia," I say aloud. "This vampire is holding you captive. He's your boyfriend—ex-boyfriend—mate's...fuck, I don't know what Elias is anymore...at any rate... he's Elias's twin brother. Inappropriate."

But he's your mate too.

If that inner voice doesn't shut the fuck up...

But I do have to admit, getting him to trust me is a good idea. It means that I'll have even more freedom to do as I please, which gives me even more of a chance to figure out how to get out of here.

So why not flirt a little bit? I mean, it isn't as if Cane is innocent in all of this. No, he isn't a total monster. He isn't going to take advantage of me in an unforgivable way, thank heavens. But he has done some other shitty things.

Maybe I should show up for dinner looking a little hotter than usual.

*****

Instead of wearing my comfy clothes, I choose a form-fitting, pale pink dress that falls a few inches above my knee. I forego any shapewear and only wear a bra, figuring there's no need to be in full date mode if this is just Cane we're talking about here.

But if I want to get a little bit further into his good graces, I thought I'd turn up the charm just a smidge.

I sweep into the dining room and knock on the doorframe. "Good evening, Mr. Dagon. I'm here, as requested."

Cane places a covered dish in the center of the dining room table and looks up. He blows out a puff of air and his lips rattle together. He looks good in his gray pants and black Henley. The sleeves are pulled up to the middle of his arm, showing off the sleeves of tattoos on each. The symbols connected by dark shading and filigree now make some sense to me. From my days of reading, I know they are ancient markings vampires once believed protected them. They would carve them into doorframes and even on headboards of their beds. I wonder if Cane is superstitious or just fascinated with things from his people's past.

A smile spreads across his face as he examines me from head to toe. "If I knew you were ditching the sweatshirts and leggings and getting dressed up for tonight's meal, I would have asked Ruth to shine the candlesticks."

I gnaw the inside of my cheek to keep from smiling. "You don't like my sweatshirts and leggings? I'm offended. A girl can't wear shit like this all the time, you know. These dresses aren't exactly comfortable."