Seven

The sound of quiet sobbing wakes me from my already fitful sleep, and immediately I bolt up in bed, knowing without a doubt it's Cordelia and not a movie she's watching

The sound of quiet sobbing wakes me from my already fitful sleep, and immediately I bolt up in bed, knowing without a doubt it's Cordelia and not a movie she's watching. Sensing her every move isn't something I tried to master; it just sort of happened.

It's 3:24 am, and my soul-bonded mate, whether she hates me or not, is crying in the room down the hall. There's no way I'm just going to sit here and let it happen. Jumping out of bed, I tug a t-shirt down over my boxers and walk to her door. I tap out a gentle knock, but I don't think she can hear me over her cries. I push the door open just a crack.

"Cordelia? Can I come in?"

She makes a little surprised sound and turns over to face me, her eyes swollen and red. "Whatever you want; I know you will anyway," she whispers.

I slide inside and walk around to her side of the bed, where she's got a pillow hugged against her chest, her silver hair splayed out on the mattress behind her. I don't sit on the bed; instead, I kneel on the floor next to her and peer into her face, placing my arm near enough to her in case she needs physical contact.

"What's wrong, coelhinha?" I ask, unable to refrain from using that nickname. I know it irritates her, but I have to admit...that's why I do it.

"I had a—" she hiccups and swipes fresh tears from her cheeks. "A nightmare. But it was—it was real."

Oh, shit. I was wondering when this would happen. "What was it about?" I ask. "Only if you want to tell me."

She only cries harder, and I just sit there awkwardly. I've never known how to handle a crying woman—or man—or any being, really, besides asking, "Hey, dipshit, you okay?" and somehow I think that is inappropriate here. So I sit quietly and wait for her to answer.

"I met Elias in my dream. We were back on the island," she murmurs.

Oh, fuck. I'm sure he waxed all poetic and had her little heart racing. She probably gave him all the information she knew about the Yeti village. I'm sure the asshole is on his way to save her right now. I wasn't expecting to face him so soon, but hey, I've got to do what I've got to do.

Then again, why is she crying?

"Did it not go well?" The question is painful to ask, and I'm thankful for the dark. The last thing I want is for her to see the utter distaste written all over my face.

She snorts out a laugh much like she did yesterday when I poked fun at her puffy white coat. "Go well? No. I don't think I'd say it went well. He tried to apologize to me, and I just kept snapping at him. But I did tell him that I don't really understand why he hasn't come to get me yet if he can sense where I am. He didn't seem to have much of an answer for that. In fact, he seemed really confused as to what I was even talking about." She buries her head in the pillow and hides her face from me.

I don't like that they dug into the nitty-gritty of their relationship. In fact, I wish she never opened that connection with him. At least not yet. But good ole Elias never lets me down.