Twelve

How I ended up in this position isn't really important

How I ended up in this position isn't really important. I mean, it isn't really that hard to figure out. I ran away...stupidly, might I add. I was completely, totally ill prepared. For fuck's sake, I didn't even bring enough food and water with me to last more than a night. What the hell was I thinking? And before I almost froze to death, Cane Dagon, the vampire I once considered the bane of my existence and my nemesis, quite literally saved my life. Truly, I think I may have died for a split second there, I was so cold.

By all accounts, he should have just let me die. There's no other reason he would've taken me than to hurt his brother. And like I already said to him before: the ultimate pain for Elias would be to find out that I'm dead. It would have been the easiest option for him.

But he didn't do that. He saved me, held me until I was warm again, and hasn't taken his eyes off me (except to be a perfect gentleman) since. I feel cared for with him. And this whole time I've been here—at this point I've lost track of the weeks—he's been nothing but honest with me. It's been nice to have a friend to talk to about all the things I don't understand about this world.

And even before I left, I kept thinking I'd miss him being around. As fucked up as that may sound.

And even if I'm fucked up for it, I want to sleep in his room tonight, to fall asleep next to him because I sure as fuck don't want to be alone.

Because I realized two things when I woke up and saw Cane's tattoos and knew it was him who held me against his chest.

One, Elias must not give a shit about the primal bond because he could have saved me instantly. He should have known exactly where I was and been there in a heartbeat. I was dying and he wasn't there.

Two, I didn't feel like a prisoner in Cane's home anymore when I was wrapped in his embrace. I felt like I belonged here.

I have one question to ask him. Just one, and his answer will determine my next move.

"Cane?"

"Yes, coelhinha?"

"I need to ask you one thing before we go any further, and I need you to tell me the truth, just as you have this whole time. Okay?"

"I already told you, I'll give you anything you ask."

"If I told you right now that I want to leave, would you let me go?"

Sorrow consumes his face, and he nods. "Yes. I'll take you home if that's what you want."

A million butterflies flap their wings in my stomach as relief floods my body. The sadness that etched his features was real. He's not just telling me that to placate me; he means it.

Next to the butterflies is a feeling of gnawing grief. Why would I want to go home and find a man who doesn't care enough to use the connection we share to save my life? I can see my dad in my dreams, and with enough practice, I can bring my mom in too. I don't want to face Elias yet. I don't want to hear his reasoning for not using the primal bond. Not right now. I want to stay here in this...snow globe of isolation from the real world.