Thirteen

Cordelia closes her eyes again on my command, and I step to the side of the couch, standing near her head

Cordelia closes her eyes again on my command, and I step to the side of the couch, standing near her head. Despite the mental exercises we've done being relaxing in nature, she looks exhausted. I've had her try everything from spoken meditation to laying quietly on the couch to tap into her power. She has been patient and followed each task I gave her, but she has yet to enter my brain with her thoughts. I worry that I've pushed her into something too hard too fast, and now she doubts her abilities.

"Picture something as simple as changing the color of my shirt."

She opens one eye and gives me a look that screams really? With an exasperated sigh, she sits up. "Maybe the problem isn't that I'm not relaxed enough or that I'm not really concentrating. Your mind had been going a million miles an hour since we started this. Maybe I can't push my way through the mess."

I open my mouth to tell her that is ridiculous, but quickly snap it shut. I've been scheming for a way to make this work for hours. Perhaps the issue is me.

Dropping down beside her on the couch, I say, "Do you have any ideas you would like to try?"

"I'm still new at all this and might need an easy way in. Why don't you relax too, and let's see if that works?"

I lean my head back and close my eyes. "No funny business while you have me in a vulnerable state."

I hear her giggle beside me and it sends a tingle down my spine that makes me immediately want to take back my words.

The couch shifts as she moves closer to me. "Are you sure you really mean that or is that some sort of code for 'I actually want you to touch me while I've got my eyes closed and I'm unsuspecting,'" she says playfully.

Inching one eye open, I respond truthfully, saying, "You don't need to sneak up on me to touch me if that's what you want to do. I welcome it at all times."

"Oh—okay," she stammers, clearly not expecting that answer. "Let's get this show on the road, shall we? I want to actually break through your twisted little mind today."

"Good girl."

Her breath hitches, and I store that little tidbit away for another time.

I lean back and place my palms on my thighs, relaxing and opening myself up to her. Minutes pass in total silence and nothing happens.

And then I feel a faint tapping on the center of my forehead. I crack an eye open to see if Cordelia has moved and she remains exactly how she was when I last looked at her. I brush off the feeling and concentrate again.

There it is, tap tap tap. It gets harder, more real. An image of Cordelia standing in front of me, poking her finger into the center of my forehead over and over again.

"You wouldn't happen to be daydreaming about annoying the hell out of me, are you?" I ask.

"Yep," she says without hesitation, and when I open my "eyes" this time, we are no longer in my living room, and Cordelia is standing in front of me with her finger pressed to my forehead.