Eight

Ever since my nightmare where my meeting with Elias went sideways, I've been obsessed with learning how to wield my power

Ever since my nightmare where my meeting with Elias went sideways, I've been obsessed with learning how to wield my power. I know Cane said he'd help me, but I'm not quite sure I trust him yet. However, I do trust him enough to snoop in his office. Meaning I don't think he'll rip my head off if he catches me.

He has all kinds of books in here; the walls are covered in them. The white bookcases are so tall that they require a ladder to reach the top. There must be something in at least a few of them that will teach me about Dreamwalkers. Many of them look to be antiques, and some of them look like they've never even been cracked open.

I have gathered a pile in my hands and I'm almost ready to go back to my room and dive in when I hear someone clear his throat behind me. I almost jump out of my skin and turn around, nearly dropping the books onto the floor.

"Shit, Cane. You scared the hell out of me."

He leans against the door frame with his arms crossed. His dark tan skin and black hair are a sharp and beautiful contrast to the white and earth tones found in his office. I always pictured vampires in a place like Evermore with gothic architecture and gloomy hues. It shouldn't surprise me that Cane is prone to break the mold.

"What are you up to, coelhinha?"

"I was just—I wanted to find..."

In a few long strides, he crosses the room and reads the spines of the books in my arms. One side of his mouth ticks up in a smile. "Already bored with all those romance novels you bought on my account?"

I want to melt into the soft beige rug. Some of the items I bought with his account, I made known, wanting to annoy him with how frivolously I've been spending his money. But the books I bought, they were truly for my enjoyment. I can only hope he didn't read the descriptions of any of them.

But I've never been one to be ashamed of my reading habits, and I don't want to start now. So I straighten my spine and lift my chin. "Nope, I still have a stack of spicy why choose romances to get through, but I thought I'd give it a rest and come down to do some research on my powers."

He quirks a brow. "Why choose romances? What the hell is that?"

My face reddens and I roll my lips between my teeth. That one may be hitting a little too close to home right now, I realize, so I just shake my head. "Nevermind. Anyway, I'm not sure that I have the right books for what it is I need to do. Can you—" I take a deep breath and do the thing I planned on never doing. "Can you help me?"

He eases several books out of my stack and places them on the glass top of his desk. Sliding his hands into his pockets, he strolls the room until he finds a thick book that looks like it might hold every answer in the universe within its pages. He hands it and two more large leather-bound volumes to me before moving behind his desk. I noticed earlier that the books stored along the far wall appeared ancient, so I steered clear of them. The last thing I wanted was to somehow ruin some priceless tome.