Six

The image in front of me is very familiar

The image in front of me is very familiar. It reminds me of passion-filled kisses and the sweet tang of blood. I never thought I'd be back here, standing under a moonless sky and staring into the mausoleum. I can still feel her legs wrapped around my waist, the warm, wet hold she had on me as her body surrendered to her passion. I miss being buried deep inside her, waking up next to her, and hearing her laughter. I'll never forgive myself for hurting her the way I did.

"Elias?"

My heart speeds up at the sound of my name. I want to spin around and at the same time, I'm terrified she won't be there. I've had too many dreams where I thought she was there, opening that bridge between her subconscious and mine, only to find out it was just a nightmare, and she is gone.

Slowly, so slowly, I turn. Cordelia stands an arm's length away from me in that tight teal dress she wore the night we went into the playrooms.

"Cordelia?" I whisper, scared she will vanish.

"Elias, I've tried to get to you so many times," she murmurs, brushing a rogue strand of hair from her forehead. From where she stands, I can see the tears in her eyes.

It's clear that she wants to close the distance between us, but she hasn't moved. She's just standing there, wringing her hands in front of her, barely meeting my eyes.

"I'm sorry. So sorry."

Cordelia's body goes rigid, and behind the tears, I see a storm brewing. She steps forward, but not with her arms open, not with forgiveness. Devastation tinged with anger simmers within her.

"Tell me again what you're sorry for, Elias. Is it for lying to me because you were scared I couldn't handle the truth? Maybe it was the truths you omitted. Or perhaps you're sorry for throwing me scraps of who you are while I was giving myself to you wholly. Please enlighten me on why you deserve my forgiveness."

"I'm sorry for all of it, Cordelia."

Her eyes widen and her rage bleeds to her face, turning it a bright pink. "'All of it'? That's a lazy, shitty apology, don't you think? What does that even mean? Do you have any idea what I've been through?"

My hands fly to my hair, and I pull the strands. "I'm sorry for keeping things from you, for letting my fears get the better of me. I'm sorry you are hurting and I'm the cause of that hurt. I don't know what you are going through, but I want to be there for you, to make this all right again."

The tears she'd been holding back spill onto her cheeks and I am dying to move toward her and comfort her. But I don't. I want her to make the first move, only if she is ready.

"I don't understand why you didn't feel like you could be honest with me. Did I not prove that I could take anything you threw at me? Even when I was scared, I came back to you." She sniffles and wipes the tears from her cheeks before she continues, her voice soft this time. "Why didn't you tell me about Cane? When you figured out he was alive, and you knew that he shared a bond with me. Tell me the truth, Elias."