Chapter 21

The bar I've chosen tonight is a little classier than my usual. The dimmed copper lights give the room a glamorous glow, an upmarket feeling that is mirrored in the tasteful velvet furnishings, and echoed by the solitary piano player in the centre of the space. It's situated slightly on the outskirts of the city, in one of the more upmarket neighbourhoods where the richer families stay. I'd hoped to have a quiet, glamorous night to myself, images of being seated in a flapper style dress, sipping a margarita whilst looking mysterious flitting through my head as I'd caught the train into town, but I obviously didn't think my plan through sufficiently as I seem to have picked the location in town with the highest number of high ranking Alphas. Their scent pervades the room, their musky masculinity and power adding to the sense of exclusivity of the bar.

I pick a seat in the corner of the room, perching on the edge of the soft armchair as I attempt to stay hidden away from the world, yet no matter how hard I try, I can't escape the frequent glances in my direction, the longing stares and the desire in their eyes. Luckily all of them seem mated, and some even married, but unfortunately that does little to spare me from their intrigue and also means that I have to put up with the hatred in the eyes of their mates as they glare at the girl distracting their Alpha.

I swirl the liquid in my glass, enjoying the smoothness of the movement. The second margarita seems to have hit the spot, and I'm enjoying the soft buzz in my brain and the fire in my belly. I force myself to keep my head down, hoping to avoid the glances for as long as I can as I try to stay lost in my thoughts.

If I'm being honest, I hadn't even expected to come into Ktukda today. It's just that Alice had invited me over for a night of pizza and board games, and for some reason I couldn't bring myself to say yes. So I'd come up with an excuse; a night out in town, a date with some unnamed stranger, an excuse that she'd lapped up quickly. But the disappointment in her eyes had made my heart sink, and I'd decided there and then that I couldn't also feel the pain of having lied to her, and thus decided to go out. So I'd only told her half a lie.... Although I'm sure that if I wanted a date with a stranger I wouldn't have to try too hard.

I quickly glance around the room, spotting at least three sets of male eyes on me, and chuckle silently to myself. Definitely wouldn't have to try very hard. Then the image registers with my brain and my head snaps up again. Cade is sitting in the corner of the room. He's hunched over his drink, what looks like a double or maybe a triple of some amber liquid, his eyes boring into my soul. The expression on his face is almost unreadable, there's definite anger in his eyes, but the ferocity is coming from something else. He seems almost, I struggle to find the right word, possessive?

I gulp as in a single swift move he downs the entire drink and saunters towards me. Yep. Definitely angry. I lean back as he reaches my table, head tilting to be able to look at his face. I'd almost forgotten quite how big he was, my nose barely reaching his belt when he stands like that in front of me.

"Reyna." The voice is forced and low. My eyes automatically shift away from his, scanning the crowd, not wanting to look him in the face. His huge hand reaches out and grips my chin, turning my face towards him forcefully. A couple of the Alphas in the room snap to attention at that. My tinge of anger at his manhandling is eased slightly by the pain of his eyes but I still rip my head away from his touch. His fingers may be soft but there's a force, a dominance and ownership in his grip that I don't appreciate.

"You have some explaining to do." He doesn't address my escape from his hold, but there's power lacing his words, the kind that suggests he won't take no for an answer. He's going to force me into explaining everything, going to demand answers until he's satisfied. I gulp silently. Well best come up with a simple explanation fast so he doesn't see any of the truth.