II

MIKAYLA

. . .

I paste the tiny black bindi between my eyebrows and look at myself. This was the last thing I needed to put on and I cannot help but give myself a flying kiss at how beautiful I look.

Like always.

I apply some lip stain, covering my plump lips with a layer of pink gloss. Once done, I turn around and grab my colorful dupatta.

Mama's choice is pretty. Too much, as she has chosen for me a set of black patiala suit with a heavy — not too heavy — colorful dupatta that is shiny, too. But I won't go downstairs to praise her for it because I know she has selected such an amazing piece for this meeting only.

She wants me to wear it for him.

Can you just believe it? I have not even become his wife and my Mama is on her mission of teaching me how to impress my husband.

Aww. Her sweet intentions are pure but she does not know that I might mix poison in his food to kill him if things between that Blondie and I try to cross the limit.

Grabbing my purse, I walk downstairs. Everybody who is in the living room stares at me and my Granny, like always, is already raising her arm to give me a flying kiss.

"Bilkul mujh par gayi hai, meri poti," she says and grins at me while I also respond with a bright smile.

No, I am not parting my lips already to ruin my pretty lip makeup.

My Mama chuckles and approaches me. "Oh, how pretty you look, my beautiful daughter!" She cups my face. "The Lord has indeed given me the prettiest girl in the world." Oh, Mama, every mother in the world is like this for her daughter.

How dramatic!

I smile at her.

"Pray that Barak won't faint," my sister-in-law also comments, giving me a flying kiss. He may die for all I care.

I roll my eyes, wanting to divert the topic. "I'm going now, okay?" I step away to leave. They nod at me. I walk over to my Granny and give her a hug.

"Nice perfume."

"Miss Dior, Granny. Eliab's gift." I blink at her. She raises her eyebrows but I know she doesn't know any Miss Dior. Actually, it's good. My grandmother is the cutest being on the earth.

"Oye Soniye, kithe chali ae?" Here comes the son of my sister-in-law, Ayaz. Being a little boy, he calls me Soniye.

"Bua hu mai teri," I say, squeezing his cheeks.

"But you call me Jani," he shows his toothy grin and a tooth is missing which makes me laugh. It's okay. I'll apply gloss again on my way to the cafe.

"But you don't call me Soniye," I pull his cheeks and he groans, releasing himself and running away to hide behind Granny's swinging chair.

"Okay, just pull my cheeks. It hurts," he murmurs, caressing his red cheeks.

"Dramebaaz," I murmur, rolling my eyes. Haven't I seen his friend pulling his cheeks whenever she comes home? There he giggles and here it hurts him?

I don't spend my time more home because my Mama doesn't even let me. She tells me that Blondie must be waiting for me and I shouldn't make him wait.

Huh!

I leave, driving my car to the destination. Thank goodness that Eliab isn't with me. I can talk with Barak and I hope he understands. Meeting him after almost five years, I expect some sense to be put into his head so he can understand my situation and let go of me, saying 'no' to his parents.