IV

MIKAYLA

. . .

"Really? No, you won't, Aaron. I seriously doubt your choice here."

"My choice is the best. See, isn't it pretty? And it'll be even prettier if my precious daughter wears it. After all, she's an exception."

"Proud father, aren't you?"

Dad chuckles, shaking his head at Mama. He opens his mouth to answer her when I knock on the door twice, getting all their attention.

"See, my precious little one is here," Dad says, smiling at me, "Come inside, my child. You never have to ask."

But you have raised me with manners, Daddy.

He proceeds to close the fashion magazine in which he was searching for wedding gown designs.

I nod, walking inside. I close the dark brown door behind me, standing by it. "I wanna talk to you, Dad," I say, escaping my Mama's suspicious gaze.

If she thinks that she knows my reason because she is my mother and keeps saying that she has kept me for nine months in her womb and there is a deep connection between us, then she is right. I'm here for it.

"And I'm always ready to listen to you. Come and tell me what's that," he invites me lovingly, and every time he does it, he makes me realize that I have gotten the world's best man as my father.

"Aaron, maybe I know the reason," Mama interrupts, walking away from the closet, holding Dad's shirt which she wanted to put inside.

"Yeah, Mama, you're right but I just want Dad to know about my opinions, too," I raise my voice a little, but not in a disrespectful manner.

"We've seen, Mickey. You're once again here for Ibzan."

"And what's wrong with that, Mama? Shouldn't Dad know why I like him, not Barak?"

"You're just being childish and nothing else. See, your parents have chosen a good man for you."

"You said I should talk to Dad, no? Then why are you keeping me from it now?"

Before Mama can say anything, Dad sighs, getting up. He shakes his head and looks at both of us with those dim hazel eyes. The darkness of chocolate is fading from them, indicating his advancing age. He is a grandfather, after all.

"Sweetheart, let her talk to me—"

"But—"

"But?" He tilts his head, "The issue is the same, right? Still, I'm willing to listen to her and it's okay by my side. What sort of a father would I be if I can't even listen to my lovely daughter?" He turns to me, patting my cheek.

I won.

Mama rolls her eyes, stepping back and saying nothing. She puts the shirt inside and comes back to us but I tell her that I need to talk to Dad alone.

First, she objects but then again, my Dad, being a king here, takes his princess's side, and finally, Mama leaves the room.

I am relieved once she is out of the room or else she would have tried to take Blondie's side again, proving me wrong regarding him.

Last time too, my mother had repeatedly intervened and made the decision final. This time I can't let it happen. Dad would surely understand me.

"Come here. Sit," he pats the place, calling me with a smile.

I obey, sitting beside him.

"Now tell me."

I take a deep breath before starting because I want to tell him everything from the beginning.