XX

MIKAYLA

. . .

I was excited before going inside but after coming inside, I realized how boring the main hall was.

Like always, he wouldn't let go of me.

Holding my hand, he guided me through the way. The painting on the ceiling was so enchanting that I kept staring at it.

It was awesome. And that was the sole thing that attracted my attention to it.

We moved towards the grand stairs, passing by the huge and beautifully carved pillars on which the ceiling stood. People passed by our side and some of the women had this audacity to steal another glance at my husband.

Couldn't they see me walking right beside him?

I look away from them, staring at the side profile of him. High cheekbones and defined jawlines. Golden hair like a cherub and eyes as blue as summer skies. No doubt why he made them look at him twice.

Having lost in him, I didn't realize we were on the stairs and I stumbled because of my stupidity. My grip tightened on his hand in the fear of falling on my face but he held me before I could even touch the ground.

Phew.

My other hand gripped his leather-cladded arm which he put over my chest to save me and I sighed, gaining back my posture.

"Where was your mind?"

On you. "Um... I was just looking around." What a huge lie it was that I was looking around when he himself was such a fine piece of art.

He shakes his head, closing his eyes briefly. "Be careful. Abhi lag jati to?" He scolded me lightly. He doesn't even know how to do it until he's rageful. Or else, even while scolding, he looks cute.

(What if you got hurt?)

"Lekin lagi to nahi na? Aur tumhara kya kaam agar mujhe chot lag jaaye?" I scolded back, leaving him speechless.

(But I didn't, right? And what's the use of you if I get hurt?)

He sighed. "Why am I even arguing with you?" He murmured, holding my hand and walking ahead. I bit back a smile that was threatening to spill out.

Once we were on the first floor, I spent my time looking at the architecture of the palace which looked beautiful enough to leave me speechless. The chandelier hanging high on the ceiling was stunning.

To behold something more closely, I would stop right there and tug him back.

He didn't mind though.

He silently spent his time observing the palace. He didn't look surprised like me. His face was blank all the while and he chuckled at my reactions.

I did not comment on it.

The most beautiful part of the palace was its corridor. I spent more time there.

It was simple. The walls were high and so were the windows, having hidden white thin curtains. The borders were defined deeply with fineness and I stood in awe of the view outside.

Still holding his hand, I stepped toward the window and looked out through it. The garden outside was large and had many flowers in it. The sun was high in the sky and its glow was spilling over the floor of the palace through the windows.

I sighed, closing my eyes for a moment as I breathed peacefully. I could hear the sound of his footsteps as he stood beside me and apart from that, I could hear the squeaking of a squirrel outside.