X

MIKAYLA

. . .

"How was the journey? You didn't face any problems on the way, right?" Mama asks my friend, Julia, who is sitting across the table.

There is a cup of tea in her hand, dainty fingers wrapped around. She loves it. Chay ki deewani hai. Her coffee-brown eyes are set on my Mama who is smiling at her.

My Mama loves Julia. She is my childhood friend. My mother has known her since she used to come to my house to do projects and homework.

"It was all right. I slept the entire flight." She chuckles in the end, her shoulders jerking.

All eyes are on me now, expecting an explanation. "She's saying that the flight was good. She slept the entire flight," I say as my eyes particularly linger over my sister-in-law, Tabitha. She seemed confused until now.

My Mama nods her head. "Eliab got there just in time, right? He didn't make you wait, I hope."

"Of course, he was waiting for me there. Although, I thought Mikayla would come to pick me up." She steals a glance at me, taking a sip of her tea.

Seriously, Julia?

She should be grateful to me that I sent Eliab there and she got to spend some time with him. That too alone. Don't I know what she has in her heart for my brother? Oh, her eyes tell, quite well.

And here she is accusing me like I have left her alone in a lion's den.

I narrow my eyes at her and she quickly looks away, chewing her rose-painted bottom lip. "She's saying that Eliab reached on time." I don't think the rest of the part is necessary to tell.

"That's good. I always—"

"Mama, I'm leaving!" Eliab calls in the middle of it, coming downstairs with urgent steps while throwing the Spider-Man knapsack on his back, over his shoulder.

Dark locks kiss his forehead, full of moisture as easy to catch. He is wearing blue jeans and a white shirt, probably carrying a jacket inside his backpack.

He comes to the table where we are sitting and passes my Mama a charming smile.

"Take care, okay?" My Mama says, looking at my brother who walks over to her and bends a little to kiss her cheek.

"I will," he maintains that smile at her before turning to Julia.

I raise my teacup and watch a bright shade of red clouding over her cheeks as she looks back at my brother; eyes up and all set. Lips parted a bit, I think she forgot how to react.

Amusement catches my orb and I bite back a smirk, taking a small sip.

Poor girl. Can't even hide those blushes, having a fair complexion with beautiful cherub features.

"Lovely guest, have fun. I hope my sister won't disappoint you." He chuckles in the end, winking at me over his shoulder.

I can spare you, Eliab, for this joke because what I see is more amusing than your dumb joke.

Julia nods her head, her plump lips spreading in a dreamy smile. He smiles back and I see how, like a drunk poet, she gazes at my brother as if he is her moon.

He leaves, whistling a melody. Julia sighs, putting a hand on her chest. The ladies around have no idea of what happened and Julia seems to look glad about it but I know.

Sometimes I think Julia should stop adoring my brother in her heart like this; secretly. It's of no use. Either she should confess her feelings or just step back, but living like a one-sided lover will take her to nothing.