【 N A M E S】

CHAPTER 8

• • •

OMNISCIENT

  ''Yep, right in there.''

  ''I am Groot?''

  ''Right there! Do you not see that huge hole in the side of the... things?''

  ''I am Groot.''

  ''We need to get your eyes checked.''

• • •

  ''Is sky?'' 

  ''No. That's not sky, that's a ceiling.'' Even with the hard truth, the Otter couldn't have been more disappointed with her own claim. ''But sire's making a new world for all of us, and when we get there, there will be sky, and it will be beautiful and forever.''

  She often gave the same speech, both to reassure her friends and herself. Oftentimes, she'd lay on her back and stare upwards, as she is  now. She wouldn't speak, but would rather reassure herself in her mindset, that there is a new world for them. One filled with an everlasting sky that ran longer than the galaxy. With clouds, birds and all. 

  The other three gave a whispered 'woah' or 'wow', having to only dream of such a thing. 

  For animals, their dream seemed simple. A sky, that's all they wanted. It might've seemed silly to some, but all they have ever known was a ceiling, ever since they were born.. er, created. They've heard stories about clouds, how puffy and fun they can be. How bright the sky was compared to the darkness of water kept in their bowls. 

  It was a nearly impossible dream. 

  ''I have been thinking,''

  ''Bout what?''

  ''Oh, nothing in particular.'' Their friend, so friendly and gentle with the smaller mammals. With them, he felt like he fit in more. Specially when they played fun games. ''But I thought, since you guys are my closest friends, and my only friends, you might be interested in knowing that I have been thinking.''

  His intentions were anything but bad. They were happy to have a friend that shared everything with them, even something as small as thinking without a purpose. It only went to show that they loved one another with every living fiber of themselves. 

  The young raccoon, laying diagonal of the Walrus had chimed, ''That's cool.''

  Across from the raccoon, the Otter had spoken. Her usual mother-like tone bringing a sort of comfort to them all. ''I've been thinking, too, about something more... singular.''

  When she hadn't heard a comment from one of her friends, she continued with her thoughts. Somberly happy about this one. 

  ''When sire moves us to the new world, we're gonna need names. I mean, 89Q12, it's not really a name, so I would like my name to be...'' She thought long and hard after this. For what she knew, a name was something you keep forever. An intangible thing that people know you and love you by. After thinking, she made up her decision and voiced them to her closest and only friends. ''...Lylla.''

  ''Lylla.''

  ''Lylla.''

  ''Lylla.''

  The name, oh so beautiful, seemed like a harmony to them. Such a beautiful name they dare not forget. The newly named Otter, Lylla, loved it, too. Her thoughts swarmed with her newfound calling, smiling inwardly at her choice of name. Such a big decision for the future, and she was proud of it. 

  ''That's a pretty name, Lylla.'' The Raccoon commented, hands folded over his stomach. 

  Lylla tilted her head back against the floor, doing her best to look at her friend. ''Thank you.''

  The Walrus had loved this idea, and already made up a sturdy name for himself, too. It didn't take much thinking, something sweet and simple, but special to him. ''I think my name shall be Teefs, because, although we all do have them, mine are definitely the most prominent.'' 

  Teefs laughed alongside Lylla. ''Teefs.''

  ''Teefs.''

  ''Lylla.''

  ''Teefs.''

  From across Teefs, the albino Rabbit giggled and had decided their own name. ''Me be called Floor, because me is lying on floor.''

  ''You're lying on a floor, so your name is Floor?''

  Floor laughed, ''Yes!''

  They spoken her name a few times and laughed, before Lylla had turned over to the Raccoon. ''What about you, friend?''

  In reality, he hadn't decided, and never really thought about it. But he knew what he wanted to do with his future. ''Someday, I'm gonna make great machines that fly, and me and my friends are gonna go flyin' together into the forever and beautiful sky. Lylla, and Teefs, and Floor, and me... Rocket.''

  The four of them stayed in a comfortable silence. The importance of a name wasn't understandable to them, but they didn't need to know it to have them. 

  Floor chirped, ''Rocket.''

  ''It really is good to have friends.''

  Something unknown to Rocket had infiltrated his thoughts. Maybe it was a strange wonder due to the lack of communication, or maybe he was going delusional over being hungry for too long.  

  When they slept and the lights were turned off, Rocket found himself lying awake. Hushed words continued to tease at his ears, making him jerk around in his own cage and prevent him from sleeping. Most of them were the same voice, a heartbroken female that spoke to him in such a soft tone it was as if she was singing a song.

  The other voices were also heartbroken. Some were male, others were female. But the sing-song female intrigued him. He never knew what they talked about, but listened all the same. Sometimes, he'd catch a few words of endearment. Words he didn't understand at such a young age. It always seemed as if they were talking to him. 

  A strong silence between the four of them was enough for Rocket to focus, hearing the same heartbroken female that spoke to him many, many times. As if it were possible, it sounded more broken than previous nights; panicked and scared. 

  Rocket felt for her, a pang in his chest when she had shouted out his name with such despair. 

  ''Rocket!''

• • •

A/N: SOO, UH... apologies for the short chapter & taking forever to publish another chapter. I know it's short and barely gives any insight, but I thought it'd be a nice filler chapter of sorts. I do hope to publish again soon — but I'm currently balancing four books and life, so I can't promise it'll be immediate.. and THANK YOU, to everyone who's still reading this, it means A LOT..