Chapter no.103 Enigma of Naruto Uzumaki

Four cloaked figures were huddled together in a small room. One was seated behind a desk while the other three were standing at attention. It was very early in the morning and the normally impassive operators were all, some more than others, giving off the feeling they wanted to be done with it.

The absence of comfort did not facilitate their mood. In exchange for serving chocolate-flavored porridge, ANBU had to make do with relatively small offices. Money was not infinite after all and budget cuts had to happen.

The seated ANBU cleared their throat and, with the usual, distorted monotone, Dragon spoke.

"So soldiers, what is the first-week assessment? Tiger, you go first."

The tiger-masked ANBU nodded.

"Hai general." His voice ever controlled and professional, Tiger summed up his week with Naruto quickly.

"Overall, he is mid chunin level in term of speed and endurance and his strength is coming along fast. At this rhythm, I estimate recruit Uzumaki will be at jonin level, physically speaking, in something like three months."

The declaration kept the room in silent contemplation before Dog shuddered. "That's too quick."

"It is," confirmed Dragon in their usual blank tone of voice.

"Any idea how it is possible, Tiger?"

The ANBU allowed himself a second or two to gather his thoughts on the matter. He had obviously been thinking about his latest recruit's performances. From a purely physical point of view, Naruto Uzumaki was a monster, largely above what any chakra user his age should be. The exact passive and active effects of chakra on humans were not perfectly understood, not even by Tsunade Senju herself but the Greatest Medic in History had postulated some theories.

One, namely the "cultivation approach", tried to explain why ninjas had greater physical capacities than normal, even without actively flooding their system with chakra. When a human exercised, muscles would break down, triggering muscle growth, a process most effective during a period of rest. For a ninja, whose muscles were constantly fed chakra, the process was similar but with some differences. First of all, muscle growth happened undeniably faster. Second of all, it was also proven that chakra could and would alter muscle on a cellular level.

Muscle growth worked by adding more volume to muscle. It was certain that chakra also made the fundamental building brick more efficient, be it a conscious effort or a subconscious reaction. It was one of the bases for Tsunade Senju's super strength technique, one the medic had shared long ago.

How to properly activate the cultivation was still a very inexact science -something Tsunade had kept a secret- and how the passive process worked was all but unknown.

Tiger summarized all that to his general who only nodded and waved his hand. The ANBU wasn't surprised his general knew that already.

"What does this aspect of physiology have to do with Uzumaki, Tiger?" Dragon asked, something bleeding in the monotone this time.

Tiger did not snort but did roll his eyes behind his mask. He knew, when Dragon used this voice, that the general knew the answer already.

"I believe the regenerative factor of recruit Uzumaki allow muscle growth to happen instantly. I also believe that his chakra is rebuilding his muscles entirely. Lastly, having a proper diet is bound to have some positive effects. Recruit Uzumaki grows stronger while he trains, not after."

Dragon joined his fingers. "What makes you say that?"

"While recruit Uzumaki already gained more defined muscles, the ratio of muscle mass to strength is not consistent. By volume alone, recruit Uzumaki should be weaker than he truly is."