Part 2

4 Months Later

Amelia's POV

I was half asleep in my last class of the day, Statistics. I had stayed up all night with my teammates, celebrating our final win of the season. I still can't believe it. We made it to nationals. The thought of it excited me to my core, but after weeks of competing and training, I now felt truly drained. I had barely managed to keep my eyes open during all my other classes, and I wanted the day to end so I could go to my room and sleep.

"That'll be all for today," Professor Anderson said as he put his things down. He was a kind but strict man in what I assumed was his early fifties, with patches of grey mixed in his black hair.

Just as I put my things away and got ready to leave, Professor Anderson looked up at us. "Can Ms. Del Fava please see me at my desk before leaving," he said in his soft but authoritative voice. It was supposed to be a question, but he didn't make it sound like one.

Just when I thought I was free, I sighed as I strode to the teacher's desk in front of the lecture hall. A few of my classmates gave me weird looks as they left. I assumed it was either because they didn't know me or because they were surprised that a new student was already in trouble.

Mr. Anderson was seated at his desk now, and he looked up at me with a smile. "Ms. Del Fava, I understand that you're a new transfer student?" he asked. Most of my lecturers and professors knew that I was a new student at BU, so I wasn't surprised at his asking. 

Though, the semester had started a few weeks ago, and Professor Anderson was the last course instructor to acknowledge any of this.

"Yes sir," I replied, smiling back. I was absolutely exhausted and wanted this to end quickly.

"I'm sorry to tell you, but you're quite behind in this course," the professor told me as he looked down at what I believed was a copy of my academic records. "You didn't take the pre-req course your classmates took last semester at your old university, so this course will probably be a bit difficult, and you're already falling behind after taking last week off, " at this, he looked back at me expectantly.

"I'd been given a permitted leave, Sir, by the university. The admin said my deadlines would be extended and that I could retake any tests I missed," I explained. As much as I wanted to leave, I knew this course was important. I also already studied most of the content whenever I had time between tournaments, but I didn't feel like explaining the hows and whys of it to Mr. Anderson at the moment.

From the look on his face, I knew he was about to give me a lecture on skipping lectures and taking leaves. He didn't look like the kind of teacher that was alright with students missing assignments and quizzes, no matter how valid their reason. 

Before he could start, I cut in. "What can I do to make up for what I've missed? Can I get extra credit?" I asked him plainly, getting to the point. I didn't have any other options, and I really wasn't in the mood to hear a lecture.

"I don't accept late submissions Ms. Del Fava, it's not fair on the other students," he told me, and I wasn't at all surprised. "But," he continued," I do give extra credit to students that are willing to tutor, though I don't think that's an option for you."

I wasn't sure if I was supposed to feel offended or not. "I'll do it," I told him, wanting to just get out of here. "I'm good at stats so it won't be an issue." I assured him. He didn't look convinced, but he slowly nodded.

"Alright I guess," he got up from his desk, "I'll email you a small assignment. If you manage it, I'll assign you a student. If not, then I believe you'll have to drop this course and take it next semester," Professor Anderson explained as he got ready to leave. Thank goodness.

"Alright, thank you professor," I said as he left. My smile dropped the second he was out the door. Talk about coming back to reality. I groaned, feeling a migraine coming on as I dragged myself out of the classroom. Thank goodness I didn't have practice today. It had been a terrible day, but I'd worry about it everything after I get some sleep.