Part 7

Warning: language

Amelia's POV

"You can totally come by and hang with us before the party tonight," Lily was telling me on the phone as I walked out of my final lecture of the day. It was Friday afternoon, cold and wet, and I'd only had two classes today. Lily and Veronica knew this and offered for me to go eat out with them and a few of their friends.

"I can't right now babe," I told her honestly," I have somewhere to be, but send me the address, I'll come by if I finish up early," I promised. I felt bad declining her offer, both her and Veronica were trying really hard to be kind to me and make me feel welcome. They'd introduced me to some of their friends on the rare occasion we were all free on campus, and I spent lots of time with Lily and Veronica at the apartment whenever I wasn't away for swimming, but I still sometimes felt that it wasn't enough.

Lily didn't show that my absence upset her and sent me her location after hanging up. I made my way to my car, a slightly beat up navy blue Jeep, and threw all my things in the back before getting in myself. My mother had set me up with a job interview at one of her acquaintance's clinics. My mum was a doctor, and thanks to her I had some experience in assisting physicians.

It was a bit of a stressful job to have while studying in university, but it was rewarding and paid well, so what the hell? I'd worked as a medical assistant when I was at my old university, so I already had a good idea on how to manage everything. Plus, I was studying psychology, so it only added to my relevant job experience. It was like killing two birds with one stone.

The clinic was pretty close to BU, it was less than a 10 minute drive away, located in a somewhat busy area. It was surrounded by small shops on both sides, and I could see a few houses peaking over the top of the main building.

I was already dressed in black dress pants and a white shirt, I just had to quickly change out of my joggers and put on my heels, and maybe fix my hair a bit. When I was done, I grabbed all the documents I'd need and made my way to the clinic, slightly nervous.

I knew I didn't need to be nervous. Mum didn't ever like the idea of me working while studying, especially since she could easily afford to pay for everything I needed, so I wasn't under the pressure of financial need like some people were. It didn't, however, sit right with me, the idea of my mother paying for everything. I wasn't a child anymore, I didn't want to have to call her every time I needed something.

It had taken a while to convince her, but she eventually allowed it when I agreed to being a medical assistant. But I wasn't going to lie, she did make the whole process a lot easier. She told me what courses and training I needed to do, and they didn't take as long or cost as much as they should have thanks to her connections. She also pulled some strings sometimes to help me get interviews, like today.

I was truly grateful for all her help. But again, all of this didn't stop the anxiety that was slowly creeping its way out of me. Mum might be able to get me an interview, but she couldn't guarantee I'd get the job, and I had a feeling she'd feel somewhat embarrassed if I didn't do well. I didn't want to disappoint her.

I took a deep breath and shook my head, as if shaking it would somehow get all my doubts to disappear, and walked into the clinic.

****

The interview was great. I'd walked into the clinic unemployed, and I'd walked out with a job. My new boss, Sydney, seemed to like me. She told me that she'd seen my application and planned to call me before my Mum had called in her favour. She was a sweet woman in what looked to be her late forties, with big round glasses and a mix of brown and grey hair. She was, also, very short. I wasn't extremely tall, I stood at about 5 foot 8, and Sydney didn't even come up to my shoulders.

Sydney didn't actually ask me too many questions, just basic information on where I had worked and what I was currently doing. After that, she'd walked me through the clinic to show me around and asked me which machines and instruments I knew how to use, sometimes requesting for me to prove my knowledge when I told her I knew something.

When she was sure I knew what I was doing, she said the job was mine. It wasn't as high paying as the one I had in New York, but I'd already expected that it wouldn't be, and it was still more than enough to get by comfortably. I also knew that if there ever was an emergency, I could borrow some money from Mum if I needed to.

I had a smile on my face when I walked into the apartment that evening. I felt triumphant. I did it, I got the job. It wasn't a huge thing, I know, but I was proud of myself regardless. I liked to celebrate victories, no matter how big or small they were.

"Oooo, look at you, Amelia. Excited for your first party at BU?" Lily asked as I threw myself onto her bed. She was doing her makeup by the mirror while Veronica sat by her with a curling iron, already done with hers.

"You know what? I kind of am," I told her truthfully. I was in the mood to party tonight after my successful job interview. They both smiled at me. "Oh yeah, guys, I'm sorry for not making it to that thing, I had a job interview straight after my classes," I apologised, still feeling a bit guilty. Lily pouted at me through the mirror as Veronica turned to me and waved a hand at me as she said, "Girl, don't even worry about it, its chill. How was your interview?"

I pointed at myself and gave them a smirk. "You're now talking to a working woman, ladies," I said in a deep voice, just to be dramatic. It worked. Both of them were giggling and cheering. They were happy for me, genuinely happy, and seeing them like that made me feel infinitely closer to them.

"Let's go baby! Well fucking done. No wonder why you're in such a good mood," Lily exclaimed, still smiling as she turned back to the mirror. "Yeah, Mia, you're practically glowing," Veronica added.

I threw them a small smile before asking, "Alright, what am I wearing?" Veronica let out a sound that was something between a shriek and a giggle. I almost laughed at the sound and her excitement about choosing my clothes and helping me get ready. It was sort of cute.

Veronica put her curler down as she went out the room to get my outfit. I looked at Lily, "wait, did you guys raid my wardrobe?" I asked. Lily gave me a cheeky smile through the mirror. "Maybe?" I shook my head at her, but still laughed. I made a mental note to clean my room this weekend, God knows what mess these two made.

Veronica walked back in and threw me some clothes that, upon further inspection, I identified as a shirt with a matching black top. "I know you're not really into showing too much skin. I promise it's not as scandalous as it looks."

"If you say so," I said as I gave her a sceptical look, but nonetheless got up to put it on in Lily's bathroom. When I looked in the mirror after getting dressed, I realised veronica was right. The skirt wasn't too short, and it was made up of a stretchy fabric that made it comfortable and easy to walk in. The top was in a corset shape and had netting on the sides that showed a bit of skin near my waist. The back had lines of thin bejewelled horizontal strips going down it. They were spaced in such a way that they didn't show too much skin, just small slithers of it.

Veronica attempted, and failed miserably might I add, to wolf whistle when I walked out to show them. "You guys work magic," I told them appreciatively. Lily was recording something on her phone and turned the camera to me when I walked out. "Oh my god, you look hot Amelia," she sang at me. I smiled at the compliment. I felt confident.

We put on some music and listened to Lily talk about the guys that had tried to ask her out this week as Veronica did my hair and makeup. I listened intently and laughed at Lily's words and Veronica's terrible off key singing as we finished getting ready. Lily took breaks between her stories to take pictures and make videos for her instagram.

By the time we were all ready to go, I was somehow in an even better mood. "Thank you guys," I told my friends as we made our way to my car. I wasn't just thanking them for tonight, but for everything in general. I was lucky to have them.

Lily and Veronica hooked an arm through each of mine. "Don't sweat it baby," Lily said. "Let's go party!"