Part 5

Amelia's POV

When I got to my apartment, I was ready to pass out. I groaned when I heard my roommates shouting and their loud music playing in the living room. I liked Lily and Veronica, I really did, and living with them felt somewhat like a dream. There was no ridiculous fighting, everyone did the chores they were given, we all cleaned up after ourselves and there was no invasion of privacy either. It might be the bare minimum in the real world, but in university, it really doesn't get better than this when it comes to house mates.

It didn't take long for me to get close to Lily and Veronica, and I can't say that we're best friends, since we have only known each other for a short while, but I think if things stay the way they are, we could eventually grow to be.

They were currently in the living room playing chess in their pajamas, with snacks all over the place and the music so loud I knew one of our neighbors would show up any minute to complain. "Guys!" I yelled, trying to get their attention, but they couldn't hear me over The Weeknd song that was playing. Irritated, but not surprised, I huffed as I threw my bag on the kitchen island and made a beeline for the chess board. Before they could react, I snatched the chess piece that was in Veronica's hand from her and held it behind my back.

Veronica's reaction was priceless. She looked like I stole her favorite chocolate and bolted up immediately, almost knocking the whole board over. "Give it back!" she practically screamed at me, but I acted like I couldn't hear her and pointed at my ears with a confused expression. She rolled her eyes at me before pausing the song on her phone. "Give. It. Back." She stuck her hand out.

"You don't have to Amelia, Vicky's going to lose with or without that piece," Lily was smirking confidently at Veronica as she said this, which got her a dirty look from her opponent. I didn't understand their love for chess, they played with each other often, and more times than not, their matches ended with heated arguments and accusations being thrown. I threw Veronica the white chess piece. "If you try to blow my ear drums with your music again, I take it and I won't give it back," I told her, but she barely acknowledged my words. She set the white horse back on the board and continued the game, her attention on the board undivided.

Veronica and Lily were both gorgeous, but in different ways. Lily was like a real life Barbie doll with her honey blonde hair, dazzling blue eyes, olive skin and amazing body. The only difference was, she was shorter, standing at 5 foot 3 inches. Regardless of her height, she worked as a model for a small boutique and was quite popular on social media, which was no surprise to me.

Veronica was taller, around 5 foot 6, with warm brown eyes and curly brown hair. She was a quieter person compared to most, but when you got to know her she was probably the most caring person you could ever meet. While Lily was the drop dead gorgeous type with her killer looks, Veronica was the subtler kind of beautiful with her doe eyes and dimples. She was also studying photography and was rarely seen without a camera in hand, something Lily took full advantage of. Veronica, of course, obliged to her best friend's requests.

I quietly watched them continue their game of chess for a while, trying my best not to laugh at their serious expressions, before a headache came on. I needed some sleep. "I'm gonna take a nap guys, wake me up if I sleep too long, yeah?" I heard them both simultaneously hum in response as I got my bag from the kitchen and made my way to my room.

"Oh! Amelia wait," Veronica called just as I was about to close my door. What is it with everyone not letting me sleep today? I left my bag in my room and went back out to where the hallway connected with the living room, rubbing my temple to sooth the pain that was shooting through it. "What's up?"

"I've mentioned I have a boyfriend, right?" she asked me. I wanted to laugh. I hadn't met him, but the woman was so in love with him, she talked about him whenever she got the opportunity. Which was a lot. I gave her a smile, "Only a little bit," I teased. I noticed the pink tinting her cheeks at my response, and I would have poked at her more were I not as tired as I was.

"His team are having a party at their place tomorrow night. There'll be a lot of people and Lily and I are going. I was hoping you'd maybe want to come too?" she paused, "you'll get to meet Hunter officially, and their parties are usually fun. It'll be a good chance for you to make some more friends too" she rambled.

I took a moment to think about it. I didn't know much about her boyfriend, just that he played hockey and that he was 'hotter than Ryan Gosling'; Lily's words, not mine. From the way Veronica talked about him and how Lily approved of him, he seemed like a nice guy. His friends were probably not so bad either, right?

I was still pretty wiped out after the tournament last week, but my friends looked at me so hopefully. I couldn't say no to that. "Aw alright, I'll go, but you guys have to help me dress up," I told them, getting squeals out of both of them. Parties weren't really my thing anymore and I spent most of my time either at swim practice or with my head in a book, so I wasn't used to dressing up. Veronica clapped her hands. "We can totally do that. Ahh! This is going be so much fun," her dimples were on full display as she grinned at me.

"Omg, can I make a reel of all of us getting ready tomorrow for my instagram? That would be so cute and it'll get good views too," Lily chirped in. I smiled at both of them as I shook my head. They were like little children, I swear. "We'll decide on that tomorrow," she nodded at my answer, knowing that it was the closest I'd get to saying yes. I wasn't exactly a big fan of social media, and they both knew that. Sometimes, they even called me Granny. 

"Oh, also" I added, "I don't drink, so I'll drive us." This got both of them cheering, their chess game long forgotten. I laughed as I waved them goodbye and went to my room. They were talking so enthusiastically I could barely make out what they were saying. I was glad to see how excited they were about me agreeing to go, they were liking me just as much as I liked them.

This might not be home, but it wasn't completely unfamiliar anymore. I had roommates I was friends with, my new swim team didn't hate my guts like I thought they would, university was going alright-ish. All of this wasn't going as bad as I thought it would.

When my head hit the pillow, I had a small smile on my face as I fell asleep.