Part 4

Warning: Language

Ronan's POV

"I'm not doing this," I declared the second I closed the office door. Coach Daniels' office was small and cluttered, with files and paper stacked on all surfaces and hockey equipment lining the far wall. He threw some things onto his desk and made his way around it.

"Well, you're gonna have to deal with it, just like the rest of us," he didn't seem too pleased, which was a good sign. "I don't want to be captain, you don't want me to be captain, and half the team doesn't want me to be captain, so why not just choose someone else?" I threw my arms up in annoyance. This was ridiculous. What the fuck was wrong with Kavinski? He seemed hell bent on making this season worse and worse, and he wasn't even here.

"There's rules, kid. Old captain chooses the new one. The Coach can't disagree without a valid reason, and there isn't one in your case," he told me as he leaned back in his chair and rubbed his temple. Clearly, I wasn't the only person distressed about the whole situation.

I shut my eyes for a second. The team won't listen to me, and Conner and his friends were probably going to mess around to get to me or just not show up. Not to mention I don't know the first thing about being captain. It was never something I was interested in. I was always fine with being told what to do and just playing my role.

Just as I was about to start complaining, Coach cut me off. "I don't care about your excuses, Harding. You might not be my first choice as captain, but you're an excellent player. So use what you know and suck it up for the year, because you have to do this whether you like it or not," his tone told me that this was the end of the conversation. I sighed, nodding my head at him as I turned to leave. I was just going to have to figure something out.

I had to take a moment to gather my thoughts when I left the office. I'm the new captain. The season starts next week. We have so much to do. I need to figure out how to get out of all this. I can't do this.

Mason and Hunter were waiting outside the rink. I saw them before they noticed me, both of their expressions serious as they spoke to each other. I chose to stop a moment to observe the people I called my best friends.

Hunter was slightly taller than Mason, with chocolate brown eyes and curly brown hair that was tied in a bun at the back of his head. He was lean, but not as built as Mason was, despite the height difference. Mason was all sharp edges, harsh features and piercing green eyes. Though he looked intimidating, anyone that knew him knew that he was actually quite the opposite. I would never admit it to them, but I was grateful for having them as friends. They were the only people in the world that I trusted.

They caught sight of me by the door and ushered me over, their seriousness and worry only increasing. "What the fuck was that?" Mason asked, pointing at the door of the rink. "Honestly man, I have no bloody idea," I answered honestly as I leaned against the brick wall.

The autumn air was crisp and chilling, the sky endless grey. With winter around the corner, it was starting to get cold. Hunter blew into his hands before saying, "There's no one as sexy as you on the ice Ron, but this is going to be hell". No fucking shit. I gave them both a pointed look as Hunter smiled and Mason laughed, somewhat lightening the air. They knew I was worried, and I was grateful they weren't demanding answers. "This is all 'cus of Kavinski. Sucker really said I'm going through hell so you will too," this got both of them to crack up. I was so going to pay the man a visit when I got the chance.

When they calmed down, I pinched the bridge of my nose and let out a heavy sign. "I don't know what to do guys, this wasn't supposed to happen". I was confused more than anything, to be honest. I didn't ask for this, nor did I show that I wanted it. It was all so freaking stupid.

Mason lightly punched my arm, "Don't worry about it bruh, you're big scary Ronan, you can take whatever," I physically cringed at his words. I was known for being tough and aggressive, both on and off the ice, but it was honestly only when I needed to be. Otherwise, I just kept to myself. I didn't need a wide circle of friends, the two idiots in front of me were more than enough.

Hunter, who was only a slightly shorter than me, came and hooked his arm over my shoulders, forcing me off the wall and to fall into step beside him. "Let's get outta here, we'll think about this shit later," he said as he all but dragged me through the car park towards his car. Mason joined us and ruffled my hair, earning himself a scowl from me. "Oh come on, don't be grumpy Ronnie," he pinched my cheek while Hunter half strangled me as he pulled me along. I shoved them away with my free hand, showed them the finger and then got into Hunter's car, irritated.

And though they were being annoying as hell, I knew they would help me figure everything out.