Part 3

Warning: language

Ronan's POV

I sat impatiently in my chair as we all waited for Coach Daniels. He's only called a meeting like this once, and last time 2 players were kicked off the team. Whatever we're here for, it isn't good. I can tell everyone is on edge as they come into the small room next to Coach's office.

"I'm calling it," Mason says as he takes a seat on my right, "he found out about the fight at that party last week. I'll bet anything you two are about to be sent to the dump," he looks at me and Hunter, who's taken a seat on my left. I was worried he might be right, and the somewhat healed cuts and bruises on my knuckles didn't help my case.

"Hell no man, this is 'cus of your shit keeping," Hunter retorts, pointing his finger at Mason, which earns him a shove. Honestly, I just want Coach to get this over with. What's taking him so long? Most of the team has arrived now, all of them mumbling to each other, trying to figure out what's about to happen.

Mason and Hunter keep arguing and fighting each other, making me question, not for the first time, why I even bother with them. If they weren't my best friends, I probably would have beaten both of them up by now, multiple times.

When Coach Daniels comes in, the room goes silent, the tension so thick you could cut it with a knife. Carter Daniels is an amazing coach. Yes, he's harsh and uncompromising when it comes to hockey and our performance, but he's also someone we can look up to and speak to whenever we need.

"There's good news and bad news boys, what'll you like to hear first?" he asks us, thankfully not beating around the bush. "Neither!" shouts Lucas from somewhere behind me, getting a few chuckles out of the team. Coach Daniels ignores him and goes on, "the good news is that the first game of the season is next week," some of the boys cheer, excited about finally getting back on the ice, "the bad news" Daniels continues," is that Kavinski can't play, he's injured and recovery is gonna be long. He'll be off the ice most the season."

Jason Kavinski is injured? Both Mason and Hunter turn to me, all of us wide eyed, realizing how bad this is. Kavinski was supposed to the main scorer and captain for this year. The fact that he's also the only senior on the team doesn't help either. How the hell are we going to play without him?

From the looks on everyone else's faces, they're all thinking the same. Most of them seemed to be holding their breath. "When Kavinski told me about his injury," coach went on, "he also decided to step down as captain". I think I hear a few gasps, understandably so.

Jason always talked about how excited he was to be captain and what his plans were. He's a natural born leader, and we all look up to him. Plus, he's amazing on the ice. We all thought Kavinski would be the one to take us places this year, but that no longer seems to be the case.

Though I'm worried about the team and how we'll manage without him, I can't help but feel bad for Jason. This was supposed to be his year to really shine. Instead, he can't even play because he's hurt and he had to step down as captain as well.

"What the hell are we gonna do now?" Mason asks no one in particular, but everyone hears him. His green eyes were crinkled with stress. "Well," we look at Coach Daniels, "when he stepped down, he also chose your new captain".

Mason, Hunter and I look at each other at the same time and whisper, "Conner". Of course he chose Conner Bryans. He's wanted to be captain forever and always hung around Jason to get on his good side. And now, it's going to pay off for him. I can already see Conner smiling smugly.

"Say hello to your new captain, Ronan Harding."