Chapter 12

Nesrin

I was woken up by a harsh tug to my arm. One of the soldiers dragged me to him and forced me to stand. As much as it pained me, I attempted to plant my feet on the ground. My head felt heavy as I tried to stay afoot. I couldn't keep my head from swaying in every direction, it was becoming tiring.

"Oh Gods, girl," exclaimed the soldier beside me, "plant your feet and move about. You aren't a toddler, get it moving." He took a lone branch and swatted it against my thigh. I jerked up at the snap of it. I took a sharp gasp as I felt the pain shoot up my body.

"Curse your mother for giving life to you." I spat at his face as I managed to hold myself up.

I stumbled as I felt another snap to my thighs, harder this time. "A blessing, I should say, if I've witnessed your beating," he cackled through his helmet.

His head was knocked forward as another soldier swatted at him. "Edsid, enough. Wake the other one."

The soldier—Edsid—who hit me with the branch clicked his tongue before he ran off to the wagon.

My entire face felt sore. All over, I felt the heated pulsation of blood exploding to escape my skin. It took everything in me not to hurl at the metallic taste left in my mouth. I spat at the ground, hoping to get rid of what was left of it. It proved useless, though.

I groaned as I shifted my body, attempting to get comfortable. No sooner had I moved did I start to feel agonizing discomfort from the fight. My leg especially felt strained and ached. My then covered wound was now open and dried with blood. Its gash splitting open with every movement I put it through.

"Take up your arm," the other soldier said. Because I hadn't moved, he grabbed my arm and laid it over his shoulder. He held onto me and put his free hand on my side, guiding me towards the large, structured building in front of us.

My gaze lifted to the towering silhouette of the castle, its massive stone walls rising ominously against the sky. A looming giant that seemed to swallow the stars themselves. As we staggered closer, the castle's colossal doors loomed like the jaws of a beast, flanked by an eerie stillness only broken by the stern faces of soldiers. They had on their armor, which glinted under the weak moonlight. Beyond the threshold, the giant hall stretched endlessly, its vastness engulfing any warmth, the echoes of our footsteps a stark reminder of the sheer magnitude of the fortress.

Even as I barely moved forward, I hesitated to inch nearer into the castle. Its looming presence was undeniably a force to be reckoned with. It was my last resort to flee from the chains that would bound me, no longer will I be free. Once I pass through those vaulted doors, I wouldn't ever be able to return.

"Stop," I croaked. I held tighter onto the soldier who gave an arm to me. "I'm not . . . I can't go through that."

I winced some more as my leg gave out from beneath me. The soldier released me from his hold, and I stumbled to the ground. I sat there, a heap of mess. I could barely stand, and I still found myself holding on to my resolve. My future was about to be in the hands of the king. I'd rather burn than allow that to happen. I refused to be a slave to King Corbyn.

The soldier knelt down in front of me. "Girl, I'm not sure what it is that you're holding on to, but once the king asks for you, it isn't much of a request. Move forward."

I frowned, refusing his words. "Burn me and ruin me, but I'd rather not be played like a puppet. I know you wouldn't either."

"Matters not what I wish," he replied. "I've been given orders and I follow through. Even if your brother did manage to ruin an eye."