Chapter 10

Khiry

"Last I visited, Nes wasn't as generous," Alessia claimed.

I gave a slight nod. "Yes, I'll have to tell my mother."

Nes. Nobody called her that. Nesrin wasn't too fond of nicknames for herself. She believed it was something too bothersome. If she was going to be addressed, she rather her full name be used. It was laughable, though, since she's quite persistent to call me by my childhood nickname.

"I'm worried for her." The girl still stood by the counter. I'd long given her the herbs she requested. She must've chosen today to converse with me.

Still, I refused to indulge in the encounter. I tried waving her off as soon as I exchanged the sack of herbs for her coins. The girl refused to leave.

"My mother worries for her well enough," I remarked. "Any concern you have for my sister will be taken care of. No need for you to worry at all."

Her face fell flat, and her lips pressed together. Ah, I guess she was hoping for more. Can't say I was apologetic about it. I've made certain that I didn't lead her on. I hadn't made it clear enough or Alessia refused to accept it.

"Kai—"

"Khiry." Best I keep her from crossing boundaries.

She frowned at my reply. "Khiry," she started. "Have I wronged you in any way? I'm not quite sure where your animosity for me comes from. I consider Nes a dear friend, it would mean much to me if her brother felt the same for me."

She placed her hand upon my own that lay on the counter. I controlled myself from backing away.

In that instant, Nesrin entered the shop. I silently urged her to help me out of the situation, gesturing to Alessia. My sister narrowed her eyes at the girl, her back still facing her. Nesrin shook her head, refusing.

"Ah, Nes!" I proclaimed. "Alessia was just speaking of you." Alessia finally turned to acknowledge her. I waved Nesrin over.

I saw my sister freeze at the entrance. "I could only wonder what she has to say of me to my brother."

Alessia removed her hand from mine. She straightened herself and turned from the counter.

"I was just about to head out actually." Alessia tightened her hold on the sack. The sack I'd long ago handed to her. "I was just telling Khiry that you took care of my order the last time I stopped by."

"Wonderful," was all Nesrin said as she moved to my side of the counter. She refused to give even a hint of a smile to the other girl. "I guess we'll be seeing you often."

The smile on Alessia's face fell. She gave a final farewell before making her way to the door. As soon as the door shut behind her, I turned to Nesrin.

"I should cut out your tongue," my sister spat. "Nes is ridiculous, I'm not a pet."

"Your dear friend addressed you as such. You are to her."

"Because of her lousy infatuation for you, she insists on coming every week," Nesrin grumbled. "For all the pigs in the realm, she chooses to delight over my brother. I'd much rather be a pet than live a life where you marry that thing."

A life of marriage with Alessia was a strange thought. The girl was no doubt attractive, but her character was on the contrary. She put all her efforts to seem otherwise in front of me. It was off-putting. On that note, we were of different nature. Any attempt of courtship was not up for discussion. The girl yearned for nothing serious if she was seeking me out. She knew she would be cast out if she courted a foreigner.