Chapter 7

Nesrin

I ducked from his punch, but he kicked out his left foot and it collided with my side. I reeled back, gasping from the impact.

"Come on." Uncle Zaffryn yelled for me to stand. "Faster."

He came towards me with both fists raised. Gathering up all my energy and frustration, I prepared myself and faced him square on. I went to punch him with my right. He caught it easily; he even caught the left one I threw. Except this time, I held onto his wrist with my right hand and twisted under his arm until I stood behind him. I kicked in the back of his knee and held on tightly to his arm when he buckled.

While he was going down, he adjusted his weight to his right and pulled me forward. I fell onto the grass with a grunt. My back ached and groaned with disapproval.

"Nesrin, use your weight to your advantage." He let me go with a frown. "Quick! Be quick and ready. Your petite size allows you to maneuver faster. Use it. Be light on your feet and cunning with your blows, you'll tire out your opponent before they could even manage to strike." His fist pounded the ground with a hard thump.

Zaffryn stood and stepped back, waiting for me to stand. When I finally did, he threw punch after punch after punch. Eventually a kick or a push would be added. I was to block as much of his hits as I could.

His impacts were beginning to overwhelm me, so I ducked and went right. I twisted myself back around just in time to stop his foot from coming into contact with my face. Still holding his foot, I brought the side of my hand to his calf. I heard his grunt of pain before he set his foot down.

I kicked my right, which he blocked with his forearms. I tried palming him in the chest but he just grabbed my hand and twisted it. Wincing, I pulled away from him and tried to kick him again. He dodged. I faked a left. When he tried to curve away from it I did a roundhouse kick with my left, my foot collided with his head. He laid on the ground on his back. I turned him around and held onto his arm.

"Good," he said, breathless. I let go of him. "Tell me this, why didn't you fight back like this? This is why I come here, to teach you how to fight. Use what you learn."

I knew the question was going to be brought up. Still, I tensed when he asked. Truth be told, I didn't think I would be able to defeat a whole gang with my hands. Chances of my survival would be slim to none. Even so, guilt still made a spot for itself in my heart. I felt like I let Mom, Uncle Zaffryn, and Khiry down.

I prepared myself. "You put too much faith in me, Uncle." I rolled the hem of my pants again, this time securing it in place. "There were so many of them and there was only one of me. I could barely think straight when they stared at me. As for all your training . . . You might as well go to Kai, he seems like he'd be of more use with it than I already am."

I faced away from him. His disappointment was worse than his anger.

He clicked his tongue.

"Do you know why we named you Nesrin?" he asked as he took my hand in his. He answered when I shook my head. "In the Long Language, your name means Embers deep Fire, alight in His Ashes. Because you always bring something to the table. There's never a dull moment with you, love. You are the shining light when there is nothing but ashes left. You are the warmth when there is nothing but cold. Don't make me regret telling your ma to name you."

"Then you must have made a mistake." I drew back my hand.

"I never make mistakes." He tsked at the thought. "I have been there for your mother for a long time. Even when I was drafted as a soldier I tried to be there for her." He paused for a second to look at our surroundings. He looked content there, like he didn't have anything to worry about.

"Your mother named your brother Khiry: the Light within, alike to the Star. Because he was like that. No one could ever look away from him, always catching everyone's attention. Khiry has the ability to shine. Like a fire he could provide light in dire times. But whereas he shines, you burn."

Ever since I could remember, Uncle Zaffryn's always been there. When I was a child, I remembered him wearing his comfortable clothes and his hair wasn't forced into perfection. He didn't worry as much either. He was the one who took the place of my father. He was the father figure I needed in my life.

He and my mother were always close, but that changed when he was forced to join the King's guard. From then on he was never seen without his navy blue uniform and badges that shone with gold tints and bright colors. If he wasn't in uniform, his armor was second. Worry lines began appearing on his head after he was appointed as the King's general, otherwise known as the Elite.

Turning to Uncle Zaffryn, I asked, "Do you know anything about shadow creatures?"

I decided my uncle would be the best to ask. He may be my mother's sibling, but he was a father to me. He would understand that whatever I brought up now, would be better kept between us.

"What do you mean?" This time he looked uncertain for once.

"Something happened the day I got hurt. It was so strange, and I don't know what to do about it." I glanced at him.

He was quiet for a few minutes. I grew anxious as he just sat there, pondering my statement. My hands were in pain because I fumbled with them in my lap for so long. The more he stayed silent the more I regretted asking him. Asking my mother probably would have been better.

"Does your mother know?" He asked, finally.

I shook my head.

"Well, I think I know what you're going on about, but you should speak with your mother before you confide in me. Trust that you'll get something useful from her. And if not her, then try your brother."

"I don't think she'd understand, though." I looked down, defeated. Ever since I woke up, I've felt so down and angry. This feeling of hopelessness and frustration wore me out. I felt as if I hadn't slept in ages.

He stood up and held his hand out to me. "She knows a lot more than she lets on, Nesrin. Let's continue, you're slow now. Maybe if you beat me you wouldn't feel so down. Come on."

"That doesn't really help me," I said. "I still have to talk with Kai about what happened in Dark Alley." My grim mood didn't faze him.

"And I know that when you speak to him, everything will be alright in the end." He smiled as he pulled me from the ground. "Because you two are Civents, and those who share the Civent blood know what it means to be a family."

I stood with a smile. But I still felt like I could have done something more than be frightened. The heavy weight of dread was weighing me down. It bugged me more than the sudden small light of hope that sparked somewhere deep inside of me.