Chapter 17

Nesrin

"I wish to be alone." I turned back over the balcony, ignoring the racing beat of my heart.

"Look where that's gotten you," he said. His voice was a deep, soft baritone that was soothing yet distinctly masculine. The kind of voice that commanded attention without being loud or aggressive, like the gentle roll of distant thunder on a calm night.

I turned to gaze at him as he came closer. He was much taller up close, and his form was just as I remembered, large and strong. Some loose curls escaped the tie they were in and fell over his face. It casted a shadow over his sleek features, captivating his face into a dark glow.

"I do not need you to watch over me," I replied. I shifted on my feet. I could feel the red liquid coming from me, and the pain that came with it was almost unbearable. "I can do well without watchful eyes."

He let out a soft laugh. "Clearly, you and I think otherwise."

My eyes were still moist, so I did my best to avoid looking directly at him. I would much rather cry when there wasn't someone there to witness it.

"What is it you want?" I peered at him from the side. He crept even closer and stood beside me at a respectable distance.

"Is it too much to see what bothers the maiden dressed in black and covered in blood?" He leaned against his arms and looked out over the balcony. His voice held the lilt of an accent, made his charm more inviting. "Suitable for a funeral."

"Do you think it's laughable?" I condemned. I tried to hide the wince of pain, but his observant eyes caught it.

"Should I?"

I stared at the stranger before me, entrapped in his calm and sophisticated manner. Of all the times, he showed up when I didn't wish him to. I at least wanted to appear pleasant in his presence. From the side, he was as handsome as I first noticed. Although he started the conversation, I knew that he wasn't one to socialize. Here he was conversing with me, but his face didn't seem to show that he was interested at all in our encounter.

It was obvious he pitied me.

I couldn't help but laugh. He, a stranger, thought my situation was worthy of his pity. I wanted nothing to do with his sympathy. It would do me no good but to make me uncomfortable. I was more than willing to fight my way out of this, but to be at the receiving end of someone's pity was embarrassing. I was never one to feel embarrassed by such things, yet here I was. My pitiful life was now part of an elaborate scheme out of my control, and such was worthy of another's attention. By the time he glanced in my direction, I was on the verge of collapsing, my laughter taking hold over me.

But just as soon as the laugh came, the tears resumed.

I was trapped in a shell of darkness, suffocating and bounding. I was completely useless to this new world. I was well aware that it'd all be dangerous, but for such a cunning extent, it made the experience unbearable. My life lied in the hands of a power-hungry man, yet I still didn't understand his motives for using me. Our familial ties were the only thing keeping me alive, or so I believed. I wouldn't find an oasis to protect me from the trials and the king. This was a path specifically designed to keep me here and imprisoned by the chains of powerlessness and unrest.

"You've gone mad," said the other stryke. He still gazed out over the garden, but his attention wasn't focused on the pretty flowers. He was all too aware of my presence.

I wiped at my face then, embarrassed I caused such a scene. "It would only be a matter of time before you've lost a few screws as well."

"I'll ask for your guidance when the time comes."