Chapter 6

Nesrin

"Swallow it," my mother chided. She raised the plant-based drink once more to my mouth. The gag escaped my mouth before I could stop it. I received a glare from her. "How are you feeling?"

She placed the plate down that had contained feverfew. A plant that strongly subsided pain that specifically came from open wounds. In this case, my stomach. But I couldn't fathom how the herb would've helped me if it was already healed.

I lied back down on the couch. "I feel like it could have been worse," I answered truthfully.

It's been four days since the night Khiry and I were attacked. Just the thought of it was frightening enough, but I still wanted to know what those shadows were. Asking my mother didn't seem to be the wisest choice at the moment, she was still upset over the whole situation. Well, the situation I had explained to her.

I'd given her a whole story about how Khiry got into a situation with some shopkeepers. They accused some people of stealing and my brother stood against them. As far as my mother knew, the shop keepers had gotten violent, and I had gotten there at the wrong time in the middle of a brawl.

I thought it was best I kept some details from her. She needn't worry about me or Khiry. Even if Khiry was at fault, I couldn't bring myself to think of that night. Those creatures were already concerning enough. I refused to think about it furthermore, but it made them all the more compelling.

That surge of energy and power that they brought was so satisfying, though. I was a stranger to it but the way it felt was all so familiar. It felt like returning home after so many years, something long forgotten but yearned for. Frankly, I doubted my mother would even comprehend what happened to me.

"I'm pretty sure this was the worst of it, Nesrin," she objected. "Your stomach was wounded."

I looked away. It seemed now more so than ever; my mother was aging with stress. She refused to admit it, but it was obvious. Her once thick midnight hair had thinned into a layer of silver. Her shoulders slouched forward more than ever, and her eyes frowned more than they should've.

For all my life, I've known my mother to be a strong woman. She refused to give in to the social pressure that came with the seated king.

It was when King Corbyn was crowned, that ridiculous laws came about. Foreigners were subjugated to homes that stretched far beyond the bustling city. The King made sure that foreigners were limited to the shop keeps they owned and placed in the least populated areas. With winter ending, spring was on its way. But that meant nothing for us. Our shop was kept hidden in the back of the city. Where those who barely earned stable income roamed. It was a furious situation my mother went through, especially knowing that the choices made that restricted us were deliberate.

"I know," I said.

I felt my stomach for the scar that was left behind. It was a big, long lump on my stomach that was healed over. The way it looked, one would've thought it was a scar from something that occurred weeks ago when, in fact, it was a few days past.

I remembered clearly that Misty had sliced me open. There was blood everywhere, but miraculously I survived. My mind went blank when I tried recalling the events that followed after. When I did try to focus on those events my head went blurry, and I'd get a migraine. I faintly remember black thread-like things protruding from my skin, but with the state I was in it could have been an illusion.

But my dream. It was . . . not something I could easily ignore. The image of the vicyn's large jaw was all I could see. Deafening shouts of pleas was cause for my excruciating headache. The more I tried reaching for the other images in the dream, the whole thing would vanish from my head.

My mother's eyes followed my hand's movements as I rubbed the sensitive skin. Her eyes were dark with something strange. She looked almost sad, upon the verge of tears. I stopped and pulled the blanket higher.

She noticed and cleared her throat. "If it still hurts, let me know."

The pain that occurred, when the knife left a mark, never appeared again later in the evening, or the morning after. It was as if I never went through all that pain.

My mother was sitting beside the couch when I awoke this morning; the moment she realized I was awake she began to care for me. She didn't give me any time to ask questions about what happened, or where Khiry was.

I took her hand in mine and squeezed. "I doubt I'll be feeling pain anytime soon."

Her smile was comforting, but it was obviously a fake one. Her eyes didn't have the regular spark they held. Her smile failed to reach her eyes, replacing the crow's feet with deep frown lines on her forehead.

From the kitchen we heard the door leading outside open and slammed shut. At first, I assumed it was Khiry. But as the seconds moved on, footsteps were heard. Those footsteps were familiar. I looked to Mom, and she knew who it was as well, even before he appeared at the foot of the couch I lied on.

"What is she still doing laying around, Vilazy?" my uncle asked. He was clad in his whole armor, his hair slicked back, and boots shined. He stood spine straight at my feet with a stern frown upon his handsome face, hands clenched in fists at his side, and shoulders squared. If I didn't know any better, I would have assumed that he was here to arrest me. "She is a Civent, she shouldn't be laying around."

My mom stood up. "Why are you here?" She crossed her delicate arms as she stared at him. Her eyes turned even more darker as they witnessed who stood in front of us. "I told you it was nothing to worry over."

"I think I have the right to be concerned for my niece's well-being, Vaz." He walked up to me and sat down. He inspected my face, turning it side to side, up and down, and even peered into my eyes. "You look fine to me. Get up."

"She was wounded, Zaffryn," my mother said. "She is not going. She needs time to recover before doing anything remotely physical. Will you please calm yourself?" She thrust her hands to him in an impatient manner.

Zaffryn shook his head.

"I will not allow her to just walk away without thinking she could do anything about it. Nesrin, let's go. Now." The way he said it so sternly got me up in an instant. It was a voice used to give commands and have people follow orders.

"Nesrin Civent, you will sit back down right this instant and rest," my mother demanded.

"Ma, I'll be fine." I gathered up my dress, aware of the bare skin that displayed the only evidence that there was something wrong. "It's not the first time."

With an upset look and a few more minutes of hesitation, she finally gave in.

"You don't have anything better to do at the palace?" she asked her brother.

He walked over to her and kissed her on the head tenderly. "What is more important than my little sister and her family?" He walked past her. "Where's the other one?"

I turned my head to Mom, curious for her answer. "He's at the shop where he should be."

Her stare was easily read from my part as she looked at me. Leave him be, it said.

"Good, at least he's not at Dark Alley." Uncle Zaffryn was oblivious to the silent conversation that was happening right in front of him. At the door, he turned to me. "I'll be waiting. Go get ready."

He shut the door behind him as he walked out the house.

"Be careful, Nesrin," Mom said. "I don't want you feeling worse than you already do." She hugged me tightly before going to her room at the end of the hall. I watched as she closed the door firmly. Her face never wandered off from its impenetrable worried gaze. I couldn't wonder if she was worried about me or if she knew about the creatures.