ᴀ ꜰᴀᴛʜᴇʀ'ꜱ ʟᴏᴠᴇ

a/n: a flashback chapter this early? yes, because i say so.

and there's gonna be like 2-3 of these.

bring on the tissues. hal being an overprotective dad has made me cry already.

song for this chapter: More than anything - Hazbin Hotel

~Hal's POV~

"It's about time you showed. Now, lower your voice. Red's been in space all day training and passed out on the couch."

"Long day at work."

"Yeah, because writing newspapers is so hard, Clark." I smirked, leaning down to pick up Zaria, causing her to stir slightly. "Shh... go back to sleep, Zar."

"Dad? What time-"

"Time for you to go to bed, little Red." I whispered and tucked her into her own bed. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Mhm." Zaria grumbled, covering her head with the duvet.

"She called you Dad." Clark smirked once I shut the door and went back to the kitchen.

"Zar does it sometimes when she's asleep, but that's it. I don't force it on her... she's been through a lot and I've been the only one taking care of her these past five years."

"You called me why?"

"You need to mentor the Superboy or at least be nice to him. I may not necessarily be on board with the idea, but he's a lot like Zar when she started with me. Hell, I even wanted John or anyone else to take her because she was so difficult to handle... A Green Lantern never trained a Red before."

"I'm a constant reminder of what he's not."

"That's where you're wrong, Krypto." I taunted and opened the fridge, tossing him a beer but he set it on the counter. "Goody two shoes."

"Hal-"

"Zaria hates the Red Ring, absolute despises the thing which in turn keeps feeding it. I know how she looks at it in hatred and then looks at mine... I'm everything she wants to be. But it's my job as her mentor to teach her that, no matter on what side of the spectrum she is, she has to stop pretending to be something she's not and embrace who she is. It's the only thing that helps her have complete control of the Ring."

"Hal, you don't understand." Clark sighed as we both walked to the living room.

"I understand more than you think, Clark." I chuckled. "I never told anyone how Zar became my protégé... mostly because I want to torment Bruce and never tell him."