• < CHAPTER NINE > •

The next day at school, Marjorie and I went to the principal's office to ask if any of the school staff had seen a lost sketchbook. The principal said that they hadn't seen anything yesterday. We both huffed and were about to leave when she called us again. She suggested checking the ‘lost and found’ box. The two of us agreed and waited for her to get the box. She returned with a large box in her hand.

She set it on her desk and let us have a look inside. We both rummaged inside the box to see if my sketchbook was there but sadly, it wasn't. The two of us handed the box back to her and we both left her office feeling disappointed.

“I'm beginning to wonder, this sketchbook of yours was taken by someone and thought of keeping it for themselves.” Marjorie said which left me feeling worried. What if she's right? What if someone found it and never even thought of giving it back to me? I can't believe I left it!

“Yo girl. Are you good?” I found myself staring at her gray eyes for a second before finally waking up from my intrusive thoughts. “O-Oh. Yeah, I'm good. Just thinking.” I replied, rubbing my left arm. “Hey, I know what this is about.” I lifted my head at her. “You're worried are you?” She guessed it. Boy, she's so good at that.

I groaned and continued to walk down the bright hallways. Then I heard the sound of her sneakers catching up, squeaking as her shoe hit the floor. “Come on Alice. I know you're worried but have faith. We will find it.” She added, placing a hand on my arm. “I know but… it's just so hard not to worry. What if… someone worse found them?” I said, whispering the last sentence. “I hope not. Wait, you're not thinking about her, are you?” Why is she so good at guessing?!

“Ahhh! No, no, no, no ,no! Lexy does not have it. She doesn't have it.” I turned around in circles, saying those words to myself for probably less than ten minutes and Marjorie just watched me looking dumbfounded. She may be thinking that I'm going all crazy inside but, “God please! Don't let Lexy have it!” I shouted in the hallways and quickly covered my mouth in less than three seconds when multiple heads shot our direction. I can't believe I just did that!

“Don't let me have what?” I spun around only to be met with the same shady blue eyes I didn’t want to see. There she is. Standing near me, with her blonde hair tied back and her minion Rachel carrying her bag behind her, Lexy scowled at me.

I stood there dead silent, eyes staring nervously at her evil blue ones and looking like a complete idiot because all eyes are on me. I wanted to disappear. That's when Marjorie stood beside me and laid a hand on my shoulder. I saw how stern she looked at Lexy and how the blonde moved her eyes from me to look at her the same way. I feel like there's some intense tension going on between the two of them.

“It’s nothing. We'll be off.” That's all Marjorie said while grabbing my arm and pulled me into the hallway with her, leaving Lexy and Rachel silent. I can't believe I made a fool out of myself for saying that loudly.

“I'm really sorry for saying that. You must've found me weird earlier.” I apologized, feeling awkward when we're out of sight. “It's okay. You're not weird to me at all.” She answered with a smile. “I'm not?” I was quite puzzled at her answer. “Of course not.” She chuckled. “Now come on. We better head to class.” She said and I began to follow her to our classroom.

______________

We walked inside our classroom, still chatting when I stopped in our tracks to find a boy crouched down beside my seat. I peaked my head a little to see what he's doing and to my horror, he was placing chewing gum on my seat!

“Hey! What are you doing?!” I yelled furiously at him. The boy turned his head around quickly and stood up. “W-Wait! It's not what you think.” He blurted, shaking his hands but I can already see Lexy laughing behind him. Oh I see what this is about.