Chapter 1

Tessia Eralith POV

Sitting on a couch in one of Eralith's private residences, sipping from a cup of hot green tea specially prepared just for me by the staff, all while I have one of the best views over the flying city of Xyrus.

Everything felt at peace, and the day too was perfect. A bright sun over the clear sky in summer, what could you possibly ask for more? I could enjoy this thing all by myself as much as I wanted but today is a much more special day.

Today is the big announcement.

"Princess, is there anything would you ask from me?" a maid asked me in her formal tone, standing close to the door and ready to fulfill any demand I requested.

"Thank you, Larissa, but I will be alright. You are free," I turned around to meet my servant and politely dismissed her from her post with a faint smile.

Larissa thanked me and then bowed in a sign of respect and turned around, exiting the door and leaving me alone for the moment.

Taking another sip of the tea, feeling warming up on the inside and enjoying his delicious aroma I was contemplating whether or not to just lay here for the rest of the day before the academy restarts and a new semester will start soon. But like I said earlier, today is a big day and I cannot miss it no matter what.

Standing up from the couch and stretching my limbs for a little bit I head towards my wardrobes picking the outfit I would wear for outside. I decided to opt for a silver summer dress, one that in particular caught my eye on it. Now ready to go I exit my room and head towards the main gate where the carriage will wait for me.

All my way towards the exit of the mansion butlers, maids, cooks, and other people who are responsible for the work around this place bowed at my sight and stepped closer to the nearest wall to let me pass. I smiled at every individual on this occasion, to some I even thanked them personally for their hard work to keep the mansion clean and organized but one person kept standing behind me and watching me.

"You can take a break, I will be out for a couple of hours," I responded continuing to walk. Hearing no reply I stopped in my tracks, I resumed speaking to her and clarifying some things.

*sigh* "Don't worry, Aya. I can protect myself. As I said earlier, take a small break from all this protecting and surveillance. If my parents asked something tell them it was my orders." I tried to reassure her.

"But what if they decided to show now?" her voice rang around the halls despite her body or even presence being absent. "The king and queen requested me to watch over you for this very scenario," she double-down on her statement. Despite her cold and emotionless tone, one that she frequently used to address anyone, I could feel some small hints of worriness and doubting.

"I know, Aya but think about it. Both royal families and the new Prime Minister of Darv alongside their Lances are right now in Xyrus. They wouldn't dare make a fuss with so much protection in a single place. I promise I will be careful, I'm still wearing the bracelet in any case. Take a rest," I reassured her, using a low and understanding tone

Again, she didn't respond, but a small wave of warm wind passed around me, waving my hair in the air, proof that she listened to me. Now with no one to bother me, I continued my journey to the carriage and into Xyrus's center.

Watching from the window of my carriage I could only observe how the people moved from place to place and prepared for the upcoming event since my departure from the mansion. The mansion I stayed in was built at the outskirts of Xyrus for privacy reasons, a place where few people had residence over there and no one, desirably, had work around it. I barely saw two persons to come but now hundreds over hundreds of humans, elves, and dwarves ran over themselves with so much work and preparations to make.

But with every minute passed, you could clearly see just how much agitation was in the air. You could see straight up from their sweaty faces. After all, can you blame them?

Today the seven Lances of the continent will be announced. The council even gave her an official code name for the public: Messiah.

5 years ago, since when the original 6 Lances were announced publicly right here in this city -what a coincidence - at the formation of the council, there were rumors that such a feat, a person who could surpass the light-silver core level and become a white core, will be impossible. Now we are here.

The council refused to give any other information about the identity of this new Lance, revealing only the code name and the gender: she. The public was left to just make vague speculations coming from the gossip of some well-influential noble families that might have some connections with the royal families, but there were some questions unaddressed. What are her powers? Is she a human, elf, or dwarf? From what family did she come? But the most important one had to come: She would destroy the balance of power between the kingdoms.

With two representative Lances for every kingdom of the continent an invisible balance existed, one that dictated if tensions between the nations could sparkle or even not wars. The council was formed so that all three races could live in peace and harmony among the others with no worries of such things by abolishing the monarchy. Could this balance continue to exist and not tempt one of the families at the power to act more authoritative over the other?

In all my head, full of geo-political thoughts and such I was brought back on the right track when a figure flashed around my eyes of a girl running in the full streets. A fine smile formed around my mouth corners.

"Stop the carriage," I ordered suddenly taking the driver off guard and even scaring him a little bit.

"Drove at the central plaza and wait for my return after the announcement," I instructed the man then sprinted out with a burst. I could feel the man's jaw hitting the floor for my sudden actions and leaving him dumbfounded, without any more clarifications but I didn't have much time. Fast, before I lose her from my sight.

Moving around the masses of people of all races like a snake using some wind magic at my disposal, wearing a coat over my head to not trigger some unwanted attention I sprinted until I saw the person that I wanted.

Carrying some blueprints in her hands and a backpack full of more books I jumped on her back, coughing her in surprise, and exclaimed happily.

"Emily!"