Chapter 2

Tessia Eralith POV

"Emily!" I exclaimed excitedly at the sight of one of my old friends and colleagues from the academy. It had been quite some time since she left Xyrus's academy in favor of traveling with Gideon, the previous teacher of mana artifacts, to learn much more and work closely with the artifacter.

The poor girl didn't have a second to gasp about the situation because I jumped from the joy on her back, taking her off-guard.

"Ah, wh-? KYA!" was all she managed to say right before she got out of balance, and we hit the ground with a solid *thud*.

"Wha-... who is... Tess?!"

"Emily! What's doing you here? How have you been? Why have you not visited the academy?" I bombarded the poor and puzzled girl with questions over questions, refusing to give her time to compose herself or even let her gather the materials she was carrying.

After maybe 5 seconds, her brain started to settle from most probably the hundreds of question marks she had put about the situation. She put her glasses right on her and then continued.

"Tessia! It's been so long!" she replied offering me a big and strong hug. "You really scared me back there for a second."

"Tee hee. My bad," I chuckled a bit at the situation with some little blushes of embarrassment. "I got a little carried away when I saw you, I couldn't help it. Sorry for the jump scare."

*Hmpf* "Apology accepted," she calmed me down with a pat on the shoulder. "Come on, we have a loooot to catch on to, right? Let's go," she got up and offered me a hand to stand.

"It's been so long since you left the academy, Emily. What have you done while we missed you?" I asked her, starting our conversation lightly and genuinely too.

"Well..." she thought for a moment before answering straight away, "...many things I could say. Me and Gideon got quite carried and invested in a new project."

"I'm all ears," I commented, letting her finish the story.

"Some time ago, a miner dwarf had discovered in one the mines around the Burin. In one of the iron deposits from the zone, he said that his team discovered a new deposit of some kind of new element. A sample of such things was brought in the lab by Gideon, initially for just his curiosity," she entered in her story.

"A new element you said?" I pressed for more details, my curiosity getting the better of me. I might not be interested in such things but her way of telling and explaining got my attention.

"Not quite a new element. That's what you thought at first but after some experiments, we discovered it's saline origin. But a very odd one, unique. The color of such a thing is unmatched by what other artifacts say and books recall, however, the energy magazines that contain is very high, unnatural really and..." she stopped from her monologue when she turned to see my puzzled expression. I tried to be polite and let continue, keeping an awkward smile but like I said earlier, this subject is beyond me to understand.

*cough* "Sorry, got uh... a little ahead of me," she excused herself. "Imagine a salt, a special one, reddish to orange as color. Shake her a little and boom. Fire her up and boom BOOM," she clarified her explications with a much more simple vocabulary.

"Ahh," I let in awe, getting a little insight into this new salt. Now it made more sense.

"Like what we put in fireworks?" I tried to make a comparison, making a much better idea of what she was referring to.

"Yeah, but more volatile. Powerful," she corrected quickly using a simple term for myself. "Gideon called first fire-salt or something along the lines. Another researcher called gunpowder."

"Interesting," I managed to let go, thinking of what Emily just shared with me.

"If I remember correctly what type of person Professor Gideon is, we can guess what will be the official name registered," making a small joke.

"I had this dream, since I was little, to become a great artifacter just like him, even better but now... I become a nanny to him. Real heavens, since that thing was brought into the labs he managed to blow it three times in a span of a couple of mouths. He even enters into the fonds of other projects to maintain his research on these stupid crystals. At this rate, we are gonna start begging silvers to continue our job. Haah"

"But what about you Tessia? Are you here for the new Lance?" she changed the subject, letting me now answer to the questions.

"Obviously. Not every day a Lance is made publicly, I am curious to see what are her new abili-," I stopped midsentence when in my corner of the eye, I caught a group of militia busted in a restaurant.

Emily, seeing my change of expression from a happy one to see an old friend to one sour and a little bit angrier. Noticing this fact she turned her head towards of what I was looking for. She got it too.

"You know, it's... *gulp* ... it's been so long since that attack and yet continues to feel like yesterday. With now so many guards and soldiers around the city, how can we expect to forget and move past this?"

Long ago, 5 years to be precise, what seemed to be a normal day in the flying city things got a turn for the absolute worst. A group of radicals with extremist ideals hit this city in big numbers targeting everyone but especially the elves and dwarfs. Many were killed and far too many got their lives turned upside down because of it. The force, the slaughter, and the madness were too much to handle it. Even the Lances were forced to intervene and made an appearance to calm the situation. but before them to shown, he stayed and protected us before with his-

Emily got me in another big hug, probably feeling the turmoil in my heart and how my face betrayed my emotions. Letting her embrace me, I took a big breath, and another one to calm myself, and closed my tearing eyes in order to avoid any more bad memories from resurfacing. I let myself hug and tried my hardest not to burst out crying.

It's not fair. He...

"There, there," she tried to cool me off in her best way possible.

"Such a tragedy could never be erased from the textbooks let alone our souls. But we need to be strong and move forward. Living in the past will only dig our grave, so we need to focus on what is going to happen and not what has happened already."

"I could have done so much more for him," I quietly utter.

Emily didn't reply and just continued to let myself calm down and gather my thoughts on the right track. Our moment however was cut short by an unknown voice.

"-gather ourselves into this city so that our beloved rulers show us the new and seventh Lance of Dicathen!" a voice boomed, loud enough to be heard from the plaza.

Shit! The announcement!

"C'mon, Watsken! We are late!" The perfect distraction for my dark thoughts had just appeared. Grabbing her wrist hard to not let her escape my grip I enchanted my legs and used some wind magic to run fast in the plaza to see her with my own eyes.

If there must be a seventh Lance then it must have been her by any means.

Passing between many other people who rushed to the plaza. and ignoring my companion's screams to stop or "Let me go" I, in fact we have arrived just in time. The plaza, as expected was full of humans, elves and dwarves, women and men from young to old, all gather for her.

"With no other additions, I present in front of you dear Dicatheans the seventh Lance of our continent!" the commentator's voice boomed once again followed quickly by a big roar and cheer from the public.

"Behold, the Lance Messiah, Eleanor Leywin, and her dragon bond!!"