Chapter 9

Eleanor Leywin POV

The last days have been like a burden, a heavy, boring, and very frustrating burden disguised as a vacation. Varay and I were held on standby under the direct orders of The Council and Elder Virion, which prevented us from participating in any missions related to the Syndicate, making us the only Lances to do so.

Being consistently labeled as "unprepared" or "inexperienced" can be demoralizing, especially when you are eager to demonstrate your true potential and abilities. How the hell I would ever get experience and such if I would never take part in any of this? I know Elder Virion didn't want to sound like this, but this was a hard pill to swallow. I haven't reached my full potential as a pure white core yet; I'm still at the solid-silver stage. It may take some time before I break into the light-silver phase. However, I possess astonishing potential that cannot be overlooked. And here it comes the hard part of actually becoming a white core, but I have faith in me. One day I would do it.

Another feeling that didn't let me sleep at this time was the anxiety. Almost all the Lances, except for Varay and me, were dispatched to investigate several locations around Dicathen that our intelligence indicated were serving as hideouts or operating bases for the Syndicate. Up until now, it has been some good days since the orders were given, no Lance had ever reported back with what they found or anything.

Bairon and Mica never give a report back, even with the eagerness of The Council. Both Aya and Olfred were the only ones to provide updates about their ongoing search for the base in Bluefall. However, as time passed, even they eventually ceased their efforts. Tons of questions ran through my mind with endless possibilities of what might have happened. I tried to ask Varay about some details, but neither did she know anything new. She, too, waited for her colleagues to report. Let's hope The Council doesn't keep secrets even from us.

Long story short, those last days were hellish. I just stood here, in the flying castle waiting for orders to enter into action. When none of those came it became harder and harder to keep myself occupied. Sure the training was a solution but even too much it's not healthy. Luckily, I happened to be surrounded by fantastic people who wanted to help me. Prince Curtis, Princess Kathlyn, and Tessia stayed at the flying castle and not their residences for an odd reason. All three of them had nothing to do as well. So I took the chance to ask them if they would like to spar a little. And here we are:

"Here I come!" Curtis yelled again, charging at me full speed with his sword all fire. Waves of scorching fire shot out of his sword, coming at me. I rolled my eyes out of boredom. Curtis might be a good fire augmenter, but he may lack imagination and diversification on the battlefield. I think it's what... fifth time now in a row when he pulled this trick of his. To respond to his attack, I just stepped back, arching my back down to dodge and avoid those waves, and quickly, shot some fast arrows made of pure mana at him.

An arrow he managed to block with his sword, and another he even caught with his bare hand, but there was still more to come and little time for him to react to it. During our last encounter, I witnessed a dramatic clash as my arrows collided with a barrage of ice projectiles, resulting in a breathtaking explosion that nullified each other. At his right but way far behind him, there she was her sister, Kathlyin Glayder with her wand in her right hand, who was conjuring some ice spells. She fearlessly defended her brother, bravely engaging in long-range combat, utilizing a swirling barrage of massive ice chunks as both a powerful shield and a devastating weapon.

Opposite to her big brother, Kathlyn opted for a more calculated and focused battle manner. Instead of rushing straight at the enemy, she waited for me to my action, and then after learning some tricks of the fighting style, then started to engage in fight with me. Well, one is an augmenter while the other is a mage, two different categories, so it was somewhat clear.