Chapter 3

??? POV

With the announcer finishing her introduction, the crowd full of people gathered from all the edges of the continent, humans, elves, and dwarves as such, erupted in a massive cheer at the sight of the new Lance.

From the balcony where the announcer had kept his speech a girl, no old of 15 years walked forward to be seen by everyone. Dressed in what seems to be the uniform for special occasions and public events, white knee-high boots, white dress above her knees with some gold lines features, and the classic red cape around her back, Eleanor Leywin looked beautiful, stunning even, and showed respect, admiration, seriousness but very importantly power.

"I'm sure she will be a fine lady in the true sense in a few years, don't you think too?" my companion spoke.

Turning my head to meet his goofy expression with one of his classic smug smiles, he started to grin even more.

"Are you sure you don't want to go to her? We can get past the security and sneak behind her pretty easy," he suggested refusing to meet my sight and focusing just on the Lance.

"No, we will bring just more complications. Besides, it's her big day, and we should let her enjoy it to the full. She still has friends and close ones to be around her at need."

This time, it was the turn for my companion to look at me, and he had a surprised expression with semi-wide eyes, kinda expecting such a thing from me, and an eyebrow rose. "Really? We are not gonna congratulate her? Not even a <<wish you all the best>> or <<GG for the job!>>? Remember, she is your-"

"Have you managed to get some info from that gut you captured?" I cut him off from his sentences, forcing him to change the subject.

*tch* *tch* "How very like you, masochist," he sighed and nodded for himself before replying to my question, "The guy was a hard nut to crack compared with the last one, a pain in the ass really, but thanks to my special rizz, I got two locations: Bluefall, a village between Eleanoir and Beast Glades's borders and Ashbern. Your choice, chief. " he explained what got from the guy and now waited for me to decide where we are gonna go next.

Considering both the locations and thinking about what things we might face and what scenarios are to come, I made a decision.

"Let's go there."

================================================================================

Eleanor Leywin POV

"You did great back there, El. You did fantastic," Sylvie's voice ran through my head, congratulating me for my presentation.

While in front of all the people I kept a simple smile and a quiet show, a stoic and nonchalant expression on the outside, on the inside I was a mess. Not in my wildest dreams I had imagined to become a Lance and have such a ceremony.

Back when the first Lances were announced I didn't think much of how they must have felt during those moments. Sure they must felt proud and overjoyed, but in my case... I had expected to be in front of hundreds of people, after all the council had just revealed a new Lance but oh boy, how naïve I was.

Thousands, no, tens of thousands of people had come to see me and I could feel their attention fixed on me like an entire mountain placed on my shoulders. I got so stiff that I believed I might offense in a way by a simple gesture or limb stretch, and despite the suggestion of King Alduin and Elder Virion, I refused from all my heart to give a speech, even a generic "I would protect all of you" or "Long live Dicathen" for the fear of anxiety and nervousness.

I might regret it now but if you put me back once more I guarantee you I would still keep my mouth shut.

Now I was walking on the main halls of Council Residence from Xyrus, going to meet with my family. I already pictured deep within my mental landscape how I would find them, expecting Mom to be very proud and happy while Dad was a crying mess. Maybe by any chance the Twin Horns will be there alongside Lilia and her parents, all waiting for me. All these pictures in my head made me honored and put a huge smile on my face.

Until it doesn't.

At the end of the hall, I spotted two figures standing and waiting for me. Straighten my posture I bowed in front of them. "Your Majesty King Blaine," then I moved towards the next person and bowed too, this time more down, "Your Majesty Queen Priscilla."

"Well look who it is," Blaine said with hints of arrogance and anger in his voice. "If it's not the start of the day," he continued.

"Dear, please. You promise me not to-," Queen Priscilla tried to control his bastard husband by jumping in my defense.

"Have you ever seen a human, swearing alliance for the elves and not his rightful monarch? If this isn't treachery then so help me God," his words were sharp, trying to mock me and feel worse for not going to serve him. I could feel how he was shooting daggers from his angry eyes while he clenched his teeth from all the nerves and most possibly humiliation.

"He's provoking you, El, don't listen to him," Sylvie spoke in my mind, warning me about Blaine's game. "I know Sylv, I know."

Instead of giving satisfaction by making a scene, I lowered my head to the floor, displaying respect and due to duty, not because of actual admiration and from my heart, and simply replied with this:

"I do not serve a nation Your Majesty, but the entire continent. If Sapin, and my home by extension and its people will ever be in danger I would come first to help."

The queen was impressed by my answer and offered me a sincere smile. Sylvie in her fox form down at my feet looked at me with a too-happy smile. Blaine, however, despite keeping his mask, an impassive expression I could bet all my money he was boiling with rage inside. He opened his mouth, giving another crap quote of his, maybe to put me in place or something but the doors behind him opened suddenly from which two more people came out.

Surprised by their unexpected arrival I bowed once more. "Prince Curtis, Princess Kathlyn."

The two siblings didn't utter a word but instead moved closely to me. I tried to take a step back, putting some distance, but I came to a halt with their next move.

Both of them stomped hard on the floor, then straightened up their posture and at the final, paid me a military salute. Their strange behavior got me and Sylvie off-guard, hell even their parents got a little shocked seeing their children act like this. They do not say a word, but the eyes are the gate towards the souls. You could read perfectly clearly in their eyes, the admiration that was written on, and for an odd reason... shame? Even regret. Kathlyn was looking at me with some pleading face while Curtis was not even looking directly at me, avoiding my sight.

After the initial shock, I did the only thing possible to do in this situation. I salute them back.

The mood rose significantly and the two heirs of the kingdom stepped aside from my direction. The queen, visibly happy by this scene, caught me awkwardly and allowed me to continue my walk.

Passing by Blaine, who most probably was still looking at me, I resumed my journey to my family.