Chapter 15

Flashbacks | Arthur Leywin POV

(14 years old, Xyrus Academy),

"That should be all," I placed all my equipment as a DC officer into a box, passing it to Claire to check for a last verification.

"Yup, that should be all, Arthur." After thoroughly examining the box, Claire securely sealed it and diligently inscribed my name on the top using a bold red marker, carefully placing the academy's official seal as an added layer of protection.

"Is that necessary? I mean, it is not like someone will go to enter our office to steal my uniform or whatever," I ask out of curiosity.

"Arthur, It's per  academy's policy. It's not like we don't have a choice," Kathlyn answered for me in her monotone and blank voice.

Despite being in the midst of the semester, my parents called for an urgent family meeting. The lack of specific details provided made me understand the seriousness and complexity of the issues at hand. Even though I was conscious of my school responsibilities, they were adamant about me participating in the discussion. I had no alternative but to go to Director Goodsky's office and request a brief leave permit from the academy, to solve my problems at home. I may not be aware of the specific issues at hand, but the fact that my presence is required suggests that the situation is quite challenging and complex. Or even both.

After the director gave me the green light, I informed my other colleagues of the DC, especially our leader, Claire Bladeheart, to announce my future short absences. And so, we are here. Besides her, Princess Kathlyn was also present with her, chatting about some girly things I would never understand, together with her big brother, Prince Curtis, who was engaged in a fierce sparring match with our senior Theo.

"Come on, Theo! Is this all a senior student has to show in front of his juniors!? Even Doradea moves faster and could put a small wound on me in all this time you waste me!" Curtis spat, being caught full into the match adrenaline, forgetting about any formalities as a royal.

"Huh," Theo chuckled, showing a big grin on his face, "I originally wanted to go slow, not hurting your ego, my prince. But if you insist so much to get your ass beaten," he clenched his fist strong, channeling mana into them and lifting some big boulders of rock using his gravity magic, "Then so be it!"

"Have you managed to restructure our patrol routes without a man?" I resumed my talk with Claire and Kathlyn, trying to ignore the fight behind me.

"We would need to regroup in some small teams in order to cover all the zones, but relax, it's not something impossible," Claire assured me, offering a thumbs up.

"You should worry more about yourself, Arthur." Kathyin joined too, giving me a friendly and supportive smile. "There are still people around here that would help us aside from me, Claire, Theo, and my idiot brother."

"I am just anxious about it, you know. Despite our best efforts, things continue to become more and more hard to manage. The hate crimes here skyrocketed in just a matter of 3-4 weeks by now and the discrimination between the noble brats and the ones more unfortunate is at its peak."

"I see your point, Arthur. We will manage and find a solution together," Katlhyn assured me.

"Besides Arthur, you will leave for how long again? Two days? What could possibly go wrong in this time without you?" Claire said, casually. "You are just paranoid about something irrelevant. Go figure it out your own business and then come and worry about others."

"It's not like we are gonna die without your presence, Arthur."

I took a breath to calm myself. Maybe is just like Claire and Kathlyn said, I'm just overreacting to everything. I will come just in time and should focus more on my problems.