off the record

❝ no more time, no more kill my vibe

this late night conversation ❞

‒ ive, ' off the record '

winter pov

Ning barely spoke at school, and Winter had found out why.

"We kissed at the party," Ning had admitted as she sat on the bed, twitching her fingers, her head bowed as her blond hair splayed across Winter's shoulder. They were sitting on Winter's bed, Ning's head on Winter's shoulder as they talked. Winter's shoulder was wet with tears, but it seemed that Ningning had cried out her sadness and was willing to talk.

Winter had reacted with shock, but settled down. Of course, that was why Ningning suddenly insisted on seeing Aeri anytime she could.

She was hoping for recognition- which just made Winter that much angrier.

Yes, they'd both been drunk, but Ning would've done the same sober. But Aeri wouldn't have. She took advantage of the nearest person, who happened to be Winter's heartbroken best friend.

Winter and Ning both tried to ignore Aeri as much as possible, but that didn't make much impact. The girl Aeri had been with was named Somi, and she was painfully like Ningning- blond hair, round face, enticingly shadowed eyes that popped with dark eyeliner. Her personality was alike also- bright, like fireworks in a night sky. She always had a smile on.

What made it even worse, to pour salt in the wound, was that Ningning was like that, and that meant Aeri had a type. And Ning fit that type. And Aeri ditched her anyway.

Winter was so angry she almost missed the text from Yooji. She'd changed the contact name, since she was kind of, well.

Yooji was someone she could talk to when she couldn't talk to anyone. Someone who helped her work and think. Someone who cleared her mind and messed it up at the same time.

A breath of fresh air. That was what Yooji was.

A best friend. Maybe a little more than that?

They'd already promised to take each other out several times, and promised to see movies, and to talk about many things.

Random questions were commonplace.

[ 2:27 PM ]

yooji❣

Hey

yooji❣

What's up?

winwin

heyy nth much

winwin

one of my friends is rlly sad tho

yooji❣

Oh no what happened??

Winter pondered for a moment. Should she tell?

She didn't know Yooji, but on the other hand she wanted to keep Ning from being hurt further. In the end she decided it was okay.

winwin

crush kissed someone else

winwin

who was lit exactly like my friend

winwin

super heartbroken now

yooji❣

Oh my God

yooji❣

That's awful...

yooji❣

I'm so sorry, is she okay?

winwin

...

winwin

howd u know it was a girl lmao

yooji❣

Well guys are generally more dense so I'm just assuming

yooji❣

Guys would get bigheaded about it instead of reacting emotionally

yooji❣

That's just my personal experience though

Oh.

So Yooji...

...was a girl?

A guy wouldn't talk about other guys like that, unless maybe he was either really woke, a feminist, or gay.

So Yooji had to be a girl.

yooji❣

Hey, you there?

winwin

youre a girl?

yooji❣

Oh

yooji❣

Um well yes

yooji❣

Are you?

winwin

...

winwin

yup lmao

winwin

looking back on it some of the stuff we said was a bit gay

yooji❣

LMAO

yooji❣

I have to agree

yooji❣

It's okay though

yooji❣

Alright, you're a girl in my AP Lit class, and you love ramen, and you needed tutoring specifically regarding Much Ado About Nothing.

The three bubbles appeared and Winter's brain combusted as she realized what the dot dot dot was for.

yooji❣

Are you Winter?