fire!

❝ you know sparks gon' fly

every time you look into my eyes ❞

‒ jvke, yuqi, alan walker, ' fire! '

winter pov

To say that Winter was dazed would be the understatement of the entire century.

In fact, it would be the worst understatement since time dawned. Winter was more than just dazed. She was floating, overjoyed, and completely head over heels in love.

With Karina Yu.

Her girlfriend.

Calling Karina that still seemed novel, because in Winter's eyes she was still that unattainable, statuesquely beautiful girl who hung out with popular kids and drove around in expensive cars. But now it was Winter who she walked hand in hand with, Winter who she drove around, Winter who she called beautiful.

Winter's heart was full, and for one person.

Karina Yu.

"Hi," Winter grinned at her girlfriend as they kissed hello in the school parking lot, Karina leaning against her Toyota. "I missed you."

"I did too," Karina murmured back, clinging to her firmly, and just then Ningning walked past and laughed.

"Didn't you two see each other yesterday?"

"I missed her anyway," Karina remarked, then kissed Winter again, then took her hand to lead her to the school doors. "I always do."

"Me too," Winter replied with a soft laugh. "I love you."

"I love you more," and then they stared into each others' eyes again, interrupted by the sound of gagging from Ningning.

"I understand you two are more lovestruck than a bullseye for each other, but can you please, please hold off on the PDA? This single feels targeted." Ningning then snickered, realizing her joke- "targeted" and "bullseye." "No pun intended."

Winter rolled her eyes, and then reluctantly consented, but then suddenly something hit her and she remembered. "Single? Aeri still hasn't done anything yet?"

"No," Ningning mumbled, and Winter pulled away from Karina briefly to squeeze her friend into a hug. 

"It's okay, she will soon," Winter reassured. "If she doesn't ask you out to the dance, though, then..."

"I'll go with Chenle, I guess," Ningning shrugged.

"Sure," Winter nodded.

The trio resumed their walk towards the school building.

- - -

"I think you look best in black," Ningning commented as she and Winter perused dresses together.

Karina had obviously wanted to tag along, but Winter had said no, citing the reason that dates had to be surprised before the actual event. Karina had been disappointed at first, but then got excited because it meant that she could a) make a grand entrance and b) go shopping with the cheerleaders, who'd agreed with Winter's idea: all of the sports players were going together, so the cheerleaders might as well also.

"Me too, so do you," Winter agreed. "Yooji asked to match though, and she's gonna wear black too, she said."

Ningning snorted. "Knowing her, she's probably gonna wear some tiny black dress with the back and shoulders open and make everyone ogle all night."

"Not intentionally," Winter defended, but inside her throat went a little dry at the throat. She coughed, trying to distract herself. "Uh, anyway, since she's getting that maybe, I'll get one too."

"One what?"

"A little black dress."

Ningning's eyes widened. "Really?!"

"Yeah!" Winter blushed intensely, pulling dresses through the rack in front of the two girls. "I mean, I have to make a good impression at Yooji's first public thing with me, right? Because people already say we're a bad match."

At first, Ningning had looked like she was about to say something sassy, but her face softened and she nodded. "Good idea! Show everyone that you're Karina's and she's yours, and you don't care what they think. Oh, and that you know how to work a room," Ningning snickered, and Winter swatted her.

a/n: SORRY THIS IS A SHORT CHAPTER, I JUST REALLY WANNA SHOW Y'ALL THE DRESSES!!!