i got you

❝ ooh, no matter what, 

you got me, i got you 

and i wouldn't want it any other way ❞

‒ twice, ' i got you '

a/n: ik karina's pov has been switching a bit between first and third person, sorry 😭

karina pov

Karina was on cloud nine.

She was completely and totally in love with Winter Kim.

The girl was so sweet: calling her, texting her, laughing with her. They walked in the halls and bounced off each other like they were made for each other.

Made for each other.

That's what they were.

At least, what Karina thought they were. She was infatuated- blushing and smiling whenever they crossed paths.

Her friends had picked up on it too.

"You're so whipped," Sakura eyerolled one lunch period, and when Karina shook her head to deny it, Sakura snickered.

"The expression on your face when you look at her is the one I have when I look at Zuha."

"Severely in need of brain cells, then," Chaewon quipped dryly and Sakura tossed a fry at her.

"No, I mean in love, duh."

"What's this I hear about love?" Karina interjected, glad for the topic to be off of her. "You love Kazuha?"

"Shh," Sakura hissed, and the action reminded Karina of Winter for some reason.

Right. On the Friday they first texted, she'd seen Ningning doing that same thing to Winter- shushing her about a crush.

"You just thought of her, unnie, didn't you?" Wonyoung giggled.

"Shush, Wony, everyone knows you think of Yujin all the time," Karina replied, and Chaewon interrupted: "Don't shush her."

Wonyoung gave Chaewon a shy smile. Chaewon was fiercely protective of the baby in the group, and they'd been friends for years. The "giant baby," as she was affectionately called, was in fact four inches taller than her unnie (Ssamu, as Wonyoung called her) yet what Chaewon lacked in height she made up for in snark.

That was what Karina loved about her friends.

"She does, though," Sakura defended Karina. "It's not illegal for the girl to have a crush, you know, Ssamu."

"Yes, but..."

"Oh, shut up. You don't get to lecture Wony about crushing, you've literally got hearts in your eyes for Yun," Sakura shot back, gesturing at the tall basketball player, who was laughing in a corner of the cafeteria. "Honestly, I'm still puzzling over how that golden retriever stole your ice-cold heart."

"She didn't steal my heart," Chaewon replied, reddening, as Sakura snickered and even Wonyoung collapsed in giggles.

Karina, meanwhile, was too busy grossing out over the voice she'd just heard.

"Something funny, ladies?"

Lee "my-jawline-is-sharper-than-my-social-skills" Heeseung.

Of course, that wasn't his name, Karina was just calling him that in her head.

"Your face," was what Wonyoung replied innocently to him.

"Excuse me? Say that again, you oversized little frea-"

"SHUT THE HELL UP!" 

Karina's eyes snapped to Chaewon, who was standing, fists balled, an expression of literal, pure fury on her face. "Do you want to say that again, Lee Heeseung? Because I promise you that if you finish that sentence, and dare say another word against Wonyoung, I will personally ensure that that face you think is perfect becomes as asymmetrical as a crashed plane. Do you understand me?"

"You think my face is perfect?" Heeseung smirked, and that was Karina's limit.

"She said you think your face is perfect, dumbass. No wonder you're not in AP Lit."

Dammit.

AP Lit. Winter's class. Everything was going back to Winter, of-goddamn-course it was.

Heeseung instantly picked up on it.

"AP English Literature, huh? Your girlfriend's class, right?"

In that second, Karina felt, rather than saw, Winter's presence.

"She's not... my girlfriend," Karina gritted out, but it was so hard.

She wanted to say yes.

Say yes, she's my girlfriend.

"Then what is she? She hangs around you more than I did."

"That's because you never made time for me, always hanging around your stoned idiots for friends."

The entire cafeteria was now watching. Some phones were even up.

"You didn't answer me."

"I'm your ex, Heeseung, it's not my job to talk to you."

Heeseung's eyebrows furrowed in anger and he snapped. "You think I don't know you like her? You were texting someone the day we broke up. I bet it was her, wasn't it? You like her, don't you?"

Karina was frozen solid. She couldn't speak.

"Don't you?"

Karina met Winter's eyes, praying they'd be understanding, unlike everyone else's.

No.

They weren't.

They were questioning, and Karina could feel the silent question in them.

In Ningning's eyes, too.

In everyone's.

Do you?

Do you?

Do you?

"I..."

Heeseeung glared at her, waiting, as Winter stood there, looking impossibly small in the masses of people in the cafeteria.

"That's what I thought," Heeseung laughed as Karina couldn't reply, her mouth frozen open, the words I like her stuck in her throat like a cough.